[Slowhand] EC on BBC's Desert Island Discs radio show (1989) + some discographical research part 2 of 2

John Walasko jwalasko at telus.net
Tue Nov 17 14:50:00 EST 2009

Desert Island Discs, part 2 of 2:

For those interested about these recordings, here is information I
found back in 1990-91, updated and fact-checked in 2009:

'Senza Mama' by Renata Scotto (note the correct spelling of "Renata"):
"Senza Mama," or "Senza Mamma," is an aria from the opera "Suor
Angelica" (Sister Angelica) by Giacomo Puccini. It was composed to an
original Italian libretto by Giovacchino Forzano. It is the second of
a trio of operas known as "Il Trittico." It received its world
premiere on December 14, 1918. Singer Renata Scotto (b. 1934) recorded
this version of the piece with conductor Lorin Maazel and The
Philharmonia Orchestra for CBS Records sometime in the mid-1970s.

'Au Fond Du Temple Saint' by Ernest Blanc and Nicolai Gedda:
'Au Fond Du Temple Saint' is an aria from the opera "Les Pêcheurs De
Perles" (The Pearl Fishers) by George Bizet. It was composed to a
French libretto by Eugène Cormon and Michel Carré and was first
performed on 30 September 1863. Singers Ernest Blanc (b. 1923) and
Nicolai Gedda (b. 1925) recorded this aria for EMI Records in 1961,
with conductor Pierre Dervaux and The Orchestra Of The Opera-Comique
Paris.

'Cross Roads Blues' by Robert Johnson (composed by Robert Johnson):
- Recorded in San Antonio, TX, November 27 1936 and first released as
a 78 rpm single on the Vocalion label. The Vocalion label was
purchased by CBS, which in turn is now owned by Sony. The track was
first reissued on the album "King Of The Delta Blues
Singers" (Columbia, 1961). The master take, plus one alternate, have
been reissued on several Sony CDs since 1990.

'I Feel Like Going Home' by Muddy Waters (composed by McKinley
Morganfield a/k/a Muddy Waters):
Recorded in Chicago for the Chess label, April 1948. Originally
released in 1948 on Aristocrat single 1305 (78 rpm) and later
available on many Chess LP and CD compilations.

'I Was Made To Love Her' by Stevie Wonder (composed by Stevie Wonder,
Lula Mae Hardaway (Wonder's mother), Sylvia Moy, and Henry Cosby):
This track was first released as Tamla Single 54151 in 1967 (the US b-
side was "Hold Me"). It was also the title track of the album "I Was
Made To Love Her" (Tamla 279) the same year, and has been reissued on
many Motown compilations over the years.

'Hard Times' by Ray Charles (composed by Ray Charles):
Recorded in Miami FL, April 23 1955. This track has been released on
several Atlantic albums and compilations and was released as a single
in 1960.

'I Love The Woman' by Freddy King [a/k/a Freddie King] (composed by B.
Myles and N. Nathan):
Recorded in Cincinnati OH on August 28 1960 and first released on a
single as the b-side to "Hideaway" for the Federal/King label in 1961.
The track later appeared on King's first album, "Freddy King
Sings" (King, released in 1961).

'Purple Rain' by Prince (composed by Prince):
Warner Brothers label, released in 1984. The original version is on
the "Purple Rain" soundtrack album, but various re-mixes, edits, and
extended versions appear on other singles and compilations.

That's it, except I will admit that it is 19 years later and I'm still
working my way through Dickens' "Barnaby Rudge."

Take care,

John
Vancouver BC