[Slowhand] Audio Stuff

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 7 14:39:33 EST 2009

I always look for deals in audio equipment, which usually entails used equipment. This requires patience in a person and some knowledge of the technology and what "goes together." I acquired a perfect SOTA Sapphire turntable about 6 yrs ago for a mere $300. I've had the same Nikko Beta40 preamp for 25+yrs and love it. I have a matched pair of HK Citation12 power amps. The second one I picked up 10yrs ago at a yard sale for 50 and spent $200 in repairs to make it perfect. This summer I found a "perfect" SAE Mark4CM power amp that's had very little use since 1972. But the coolest thing are the custom speakers (very reasonable cost). I came across a fellow in Santa Cruz this year whose hobby is rebuilding/renovating vintage JBLs, and he built me a pair of L100T3s to my specs w/customer xovers, upgraded wiring and posts and a teak veneer! Wof Fire Xroads sounds amazing with these - no subs reqd - and DGears sounds better than ever (eg.Dream, Dance the
Night)... More audio - less TV!
Cheers!
Mel Boss