[Slowhand] SJ Concert Review

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 6 16:01:07 EST 2011

From Jim Harrington, SJ MercuryNews: see
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17527930?source=most_emailed&nclick_check=1
A mediocre review from Jim (that I expected) but some great photos!
Mel
More than just a hand was moving slow during Eric Clapton's performance
Wednesday night in San Jose.
Slowhand, as the 65-year-old guitarist is nicknamed, focused mainly on slow
blues, acoustic ballads and mid-tempo adult contemporary radio-friendly tunes.
Those who came to HP Pavilion looking to rock most likely went home unhappy.
It's one thing to avoid a "greatest hits" set list, but quite another to give
the audience very little to compensate for the absence of fan favorites. Clapton
was guilty of both.
There were a few nice moments -- how could there not be if Clapton is playing
guitar? But not enough of them kept this show from becoming one of the
least-memorable offerings we've seen from the only three-time inductee to the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... (more)