[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 17, Issue 40

PETER SMITH peter.smith19 at btinternet.com
Sun May 15 12:09:24 EDT 2011

Eric Clapton Glasgow SECC May 12th 2011
I think Clapton is back on top form and, in my book, always worth seeing these days. So I decided to make the trip to Glasgow on Thursday night. I was also tempted by the support act Andy Fairweather Low. I’ve seen Andy many times over the years in Clapton and Roger Waters’ bands, but haven’t seen him solo since the 1970s. I arrived at SECC around 7pm, bought my programme, and took my seat in Row S of the centre block.
Andy Fairweather Low and his band took us through his greatest hits including Bend Me Shape Me, La Booga Rooga, Wide Eyed and Legless, and If Paradise is Half as Nice. He’s also a very accomplished guitarist which he demonstrated to great effect in a couple of bluesy instrumentals; one of which was by Lightning Hopkins. Andy had a lovely Vox teardrop guitar, which matched his 60s setlist. good opener.
I’ve seen Clapton many times since the 70s (probably about 15 or so). There were times I felt he was going through the motions in some shows in the 90s, but the last few times I’ve seen him he has been playing really well, with great, fluid guitar playing and getting back to what he started with; the blues. And Thursday was no exception. The set started with some great blues songs, with Clapton playing with feeling and passion. Great keyboard solos from Chris Stainton and Tim Carmon. The set is predictable, and seems to be the same as he has been playing throughout the tour, with a mix of blues, old favourites and an acoustic set in the middle. High points for me were Hoochie Coochie Man, Badge and I Shot the Sherriff. Low points; I’m still not keen on the unplugged Layla (lets have the electric version next time please, Eric) and I did get a little tired of the keyboard solos which seemed to figure in almost every song. Also Clapton seemed subdued
and was straight off the stage at the end (it wouldn’t hurt to say a few words to the crowd). Overall, however, this was a pretty good show; Clapton has become the modern equivalent of the old bluesmen who got him started in the beginning. Long may he continue to come and play for us.
Setlist: Key To The Highway; Going Down Slow; Hoochie Coochie Man; Old Love; I Shot The Sheriff; Driftin’; Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out; Still Got The Blues; Same Old Blues; When Somebody Thinks You’re Wonderful; Layla; Badge; Wonderful Tonight; Before You Accuse Me; Little Queen Of Spades; Cocaine. Encore: Crossroads.

Peter
http://vintagerock.wordpress.com/