[Slowhand] Chris Barber: Memories of My Trip

Kevin Wilson kevinwilson at telkomsa.net
Sun May 15 12:17:27 EDT 2011

This is a double CD and EC appears on 1 song: Fulton Allen's "Weeping
Willow". No it's not "Stormy Monday" from Wintershall 2005 (which I find
more dynamic than the Cream reunion version), EC plays rhythm guitar & dobro
vs. Chris Barber's trombone. Very good country-blues supported by Chris
Stainton, Dave Bronze & Henry Spinetti. Recorded in 2010 near Hampton Court.
Eric's resentful whine carries the tune, and some of the lyrics are similar
to "Outside Woman Blues".

The rest of the album contains tracks from the mid-1950s, decade by decade
to date and features, Van Morrison (ever the collaborator), Andy Fairweather
Low, Rory Gallagher, Mark Knopfler, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Jeff
Healey, and Muddy Waters, among others. Some songs are poorly recorded, but
have historic value.

Kevin