[Slowhand] Marsallis & Clapton

Bruce Wilson kbw at mchsi.com
Wed Sep 21 21:49:28 EDT 2011

Fabio, you said it all! I have been having a great time listening to and watching 'Play the Blues.' My parents are fans of New Orleans jazz and very much enjoyed seeing this performance. I know I was hearing this music before I was born. One of the reasons I am a Clapton fan is that Cream played improvised music which resonated with the jazz I was raised on.

I love the Marsalis arrangement of 'Layla.' What a surprise to hear. If you make the 'Layla' cd, you may consider one of the versions with the Allman Bros. They had added 'Layla' to their sets prior to EC's performances with them in 2009. March 20's version is understandably more together overall, but the initial encounter on March 19 is excellent as well. Derek Trucks channels Duane and Danny Louis of Gov't Mule on piano is outstanding.