[Slowhand] Marsallis & Clapton

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lpi.nsw.gov.au
Thu Sep 22 22:48:08 EDT 2011

My copy of the combo arrived yesterday. I played the CD, and thought yeah, ok not bad but I probably won't play it a lot (I'm not a big jazz fan). Had a look at the DVD later on and really enjoyed that. The performance was full of warmth, Eric clearly enjoying it all and surprisingly speaking quite a lot (for him) and very warmly and openly. The version of Layla is great and came as a real surprise.
Even though it may be more of a one-off, this is as big a change in direction for Clapton as Unplugged was 20 years ago, and it makes you really appreciate what a brilliant musician the guy is, to step into something so far out of his comfort zone and with only 3 days of rehearsals, come up with this. I'm impressed.

Cheers,
Jon

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Government. This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.