[StBernard] Dallas Morning News Article on St. Rita's

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 18 11:17:04 EDT 2005

*Torrents of anger and sadness follow nursing home deaths *

*Everyone in St. Bernard Parish loved someone in St. Rita's before
Katrina made it a death trap
*

*11:19 PM CDT on Saturday, September 17, 2005 *

*By LEE HANCOCK / The Dallas Morning News *

ST. BERNARD, La. – The agony of this parish lies in a stinking,
mud-choked nursing home named for the patron saint of the lost and
forgotten.

The wall of water and misery unleashed by Hurricane Katrina came up hard
and fast, wreaking biblical horror at St. Rita's Nursing Center as it
rolled across this working-class suburban parish southeast of New Orleans.

A resident's son would be the first outsider to see the frail bodies of
St. Rita's residents who didn't get out.

Two days after the storm, firefighter Steve Gallodoro came upon the
bodies floating just inside the entrance when he reached St. Rita's by
boat to check on his father, who used a wheelchair. He says he'll be
haunted for the rest of his life that he couldn't save him – or even
recover his body – as he rescued so many others from the monster storm.

"I acted as a good fireman. I was doing my job," said Mr. Gallodoro, a
St. Bernard Parish Fire Department captain. "I failed as a son. I only
hope that my father understands."

There are few in St. Bernard Parish who do. Three weeks after Katrina
roared through this arc of land between the Crescent City and the gulf,
the questions and the pain remain angry and raw.

The owners of St. Rita's, Salvadore and Mable Mangano, were charged last
week with 34 counts of involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of
residents killed in the flooding. Relatives of the home's residents and
others in St. Bernard Parish have grimly praised the arrests, but
Mangano family members and the couple's lawyer say the two actually are
heroes and are now being made scapegoats. They say the Manganos
frantically tried to save the nursing home's residents, pulling as many
as they could from the murky flood and circling back for three days to
look for other survivors. Mrs. Mangano found one mentally retarded
patient clutching the top of a chifforobe.

"It's heartbreaking because that nursing home was their whole life. I
know my sister-in-law would give her life for those residents," Patricia
Buffone, who is married to a younger brother of Mable Mangano, told /The
Dallas Morning News/.

The Manganos could not be reached for comment.

Mrs. Buffone, a licensed practical nurse, worked at St. Rita's and was
among the survivors. "The water came up so fast, and we were grabbing
everyone we could," she said Saturday. "We just couldn't reach everyone
in time."

'100 percent devastated'

St. Bernard bore the brunt of the storm's fury before it crashed into
New Orleans. Then the parish waited for help that never seemed to come.

Parish officials had no communications with anyone beyond their parish
borders until five days after the hurricane. Beleaguered firemen, police
and volunteers organized their own rescues of 4,000 people stranded on
roofs and levees. Officials note with visible disgust that their first
outside aid came from a group of Canadian Mounties who arrived after 3 ½
days.

Katrina's vicious winds and water left the lowland parish and its towns
– Chalmette and Arabi, Violet and St. Bernard, Poydras and Meraux –
wastelands of toxic mud, downed trees, splintered homes and wrecked
cars. Every business was inundated. On Judge Perez Highway, the parish's
major commercial district, much of one of the main shopping centers
burned in the days after the storm.

"We are 100 percent, 100 percent devastated here," said Joey DiFatta,
chairman of the St. Bernard Parish Council. "There's nothing here that's
good. Nowhere."

When parish leaders finally flew over the parish and took in the scope
of the disaster, they were stunned to see that a third of its landmass –
the marshlands providing a buffer from the Gulf of Mexico – had washed
into the sea. They say they're being optimistic when they estimate that
90 percent of the parish's houses are uninhabitable and it will be at
least four to six months before anyone can even think about moving back.

The parish's 70,000 residents were finally allowed back in on Saturday
after officials decided they needed to see the devastation for
themselves to comprehend how bad things are. But a 250,000-gallon oil
spill at one of the parish's two refineries, Murphy Oil in Chalmette,
left contamination so severe that a quarter of the parish's residents –
including many of its leaders – can't be allowed near their homes.

Even the most resolute are uncertain of the future for a community that
survived the devastation of Hurricane Betsy in 1965. A hand-lettered
sign posted in front of the sodden courthouse reads "The St. Bernard
Alamo."

"We're tired. We're worn out," said Parish Emergency Operations Director
Larry J. Ingargiola. "This has been going on for three weeks now, and
there's no end in sight."

The worst of it is on a desolate stretch of Louisiana Highway 46, in a
brick and pre-fabricated steel building surrounded by reeking
floodwaters and filled with ankle-deep mud. St. Rita's was the only one
of four nursing homes in the parish that did not take its patients to
higher ground, and its death toll represents half of the parish's known
hurricane losses.

"The parish took a very hard blow. There was devastation everywhere,"
said Tammy Daigle, a licensed practical nurse who last worked at St.
Rita's two nights before the storm and evacuated to Alabama.

"But what happened at that nursing home did the whole parish in because
everybody in that place, if they weren't somebody's uncle or grandparent
or cousin, they were friends with people all over that parish," she
said, her voice breaking. "The whole parish had to have known somebody
who lived or died in there. It's horrible, just horrible what happened."

A family enterprise

St. Rita's residents were regular working folks, elders of big,
sprawling families. They were fishermen and artists, a one-time bag
lady, a retired teacher, a card-carrying Teamster who loved growing
vegetables and played the clarinet.

Their surnames were largely Italian and French and Spanish, and many had
some "Isleno" blood – a legacy of the Canary Islanders who settled the
marshy area in the late 1700s.

St. Rita's longtime owners, "Mr. Sal" and "Miss Mable" Mangano, lived in
a brick home adjoining the nursing home. Their son, "little Sal," and
his wife lived in another beside it, keeping pens of goats and ostriches
that they encouraged home residents to visit when their relatives came
to the home.

The Mangano family has been in the parish for years, a blend of Sicilian
immigrants and islanders from the tiny Gulf Coast community of
Delacroix. They opened St. Rita's 20 years ago and named it, relatives
say, to honor Mable's grandmother. They made the business a family
enterprise, with their son and daughter-in-law and Mable's sister-in-law
working alongside them in the 100-bed home.

"They were nice people. I thought they were, anyway," said Mr.
Ingargiola, who attended school with the elder Manganos. "Regular folks.
Everybody knew them around here."

St. Rita's was one of the nicer facilities in the parish, with homey
rooms, a crystal chandelier in the lobby and daily activities for the
residents. There was nightly bingo and a weekly Mass, and people said
the Manganos laid an impressive altar for St. Joseph's Day, the March
feast day when New Orleans' Sicilian community offers special foods and
good intentions to share their blessings with those in need.

A picture of St. Rita inside the front doors greeted visitors to the
home, just across from a statue of the blessed Virgin. A framed picture
of a praying Pope John Paul II hung above Mr. Mangano's desk.

"Be nice to your kids. THEY'LL CHOOSE YOUR NURSING HOME," read a blue
bumper sticker stuck on his office window, still visible days after the
devastating flood.

"It was like a great big family. I can't understand how this could
happen. Sal and Mable, I know that they're getting the blame," said Ms.
Daigle, the St. Rita's nurse. "But they spent their whole life running
this place. They were there from 7 am to 6 p.m., six days a week, and
their son, too. They took care of these old people like they was their
own."

Like every other nursing home in Louisiana, St. Rita's had an evacuation
plan for hurricanes and other disasters. Parish officials recall reading
it, and some relatives of St. Rita's residents say the Manganos assured
them that they would bus everyone to Alexandria or Baton Rouge if the
need arose.

But as Katrina bore down on southeast Louisiana over the last weekend of
August, it became apparent that the Manganos weren't going to take their
elderly charges anywhere.

Several relatives, packing up to leave town themselves, said they called
and were assured that the Manganos "had things under control."

St. Bernard Parish coroner and family practicioner Brian Bertucci called
St. Rita's on Sunday afternoon, after the parish had ordered a mandatory
evacuation, because he had about 40 patients there and wanted to hear
personally that they were being moved out.

Dr. Bertucci said Mrs. Mangano explained that they were properly
equipped for the storm, with five nurses, a generator, and permission
from residents' families to stay put. She added that she had no way to
move some of her most fragile patients because ambulances that had
agreed to move five of St. Rita's residents to the New Orleans Superdome
had never shown up.

He said she waved him off when he urged her to reconsider, explaining
that he could immediately send two buses and drivers "to take you
anywhere you want to go."

Mr. Gallodoro, the firefighter, said he twice contacted Mr. Mangano
because he was anxious about his father. He offered to help load buses,
but he said Mr. Mangano responded "that if he loaded these people into
buses, there was a possibility of losing two or three."

Mrs. Buffone was one of the nurses on duty that Sunday night, just hours
before the storm hit. She said she never heard anyone mention anything
about a mandatory evacuation. No one was worried, she said, because she
and other employees and many of their relatives had long used St. Rita's
as a shelter from major Gulf storms.

In fact, her own 16-year-old son and husband came to St. Rita's to wait
out Katrina, and other staffers brought in relatives, too – spouses,
ailing elderly parents and children as young as 2 years old.

"Everyone thought it was going to be OK," Mrs. Buffone said. "It was
real calm. We had been listening to television all night long into the
early morning."

The water came

But shortly after breakfast Monday morning, she said, as residents
lingered in the hallways, or rested in their rooms, one of the men
waiting out the storm stuck his head outside as the winds appeared to
ease a little.

He saw what looked like a solid wall of brown headed toward the home. He
rushed back inside, yelling that the water was coming, and slammed shut
the double glass doors.

In what seemed like an instant, Mrs. Buffone could see muddy water 2
feet high and rising against the outside panes of glass.

She said she and other staff tried to gather patients in one place as
torrents of water poured through the hallways. As she rushed about, she
heard people yell that water seemed to be coming through the air
conditioning vents.

The staff tried a new strategy, "trying to get as many people as we
could back on the beds because we knew the mattresses could float."

Within a few minutes, she said, the force of the water pushed her and
others toward a rear entrance of the home. She said they swam out a
broken window to one of the Manganos' homes just behind the nursing
facility. Rescuers in two boats arrived and ferried Mrs. Buffone and
other survivors to the nursing home's roof. They began trying to move
everyone to the highest place they could find.

"Myself, my husband and my son were on top of the roof for hours with
nine patients," she said. "We pulled them up with our arms as they were
coming out. My sister-in- law and brother-in-law were in the building
with them, and they would hand them up."

She said she saw Mrs. Mangano pushing against chest-high water, trying
to move a patient on a mattress as Mr. Mangano pulled others out of the
flooded home. She said her sister-in-law refused to get out of the water
and into one of the boats "because she still had people in the building."

At some point, someone began crawling into the space between the roof
and the interior ceilings, ripping out ceiling tiles, hoping to spot
anyone in the murk below. Three more patients were found, desperately
hanging on to the attic supports, and they, too, would be pulled onto
the roof, she said.

Particularly fragile patients were laid in the bottom of the two boats
and taken to a nearby house, Mrs. Buffone said. Later, the boats began
transferring the surviving patients and staff to a school about a
half-mile from St. Rita's.

First to arrive

Two days after the storm, Steve Gallodoro managed to find a boat and
enough time away from saving storm survivors to get down the parish from
Chalmette to St. Rita's. He was particularly worried because his
82-year-old father, Tufanio, was deathly afraid of water. Neither he nor
his fire department colleagues had heard from that part of the parish
since the storm.

When they reached St. Rita's driveway, he said, he saw water everywhere.
Once the boat got close enough to the building's front entrance, he
jumped out and sank into water over his head. The glass double doors
wouldn't budge, so he tried to batter them open with a boat anchor, and
then had his boat companions move him to a nearby patio where a door
appeared to be broken.

There, the water was only four feet deep, so he began moving inside. "I
bumped into a body floating. It was an elderly female. ...five foot into
the building, I bumped into another body. ... I walked 10 feet into the
main hallway. I bumped into another body. I didn't go any further
because I knew what I'd find."

Returning to his boat, he and his companions motored back to the highway
and flagged down a passing sheriff's "duck" boat to tell the authorities
what he'd seen. The sheriff's deputies already knew and directed him to
the nearby school where survivors were still sheltered.

There, Mr. Gallodoro said, a nurse trying to wrap a naked patient in a
sheet saw him and lowered her eyes. "She said, 'I'm sorry, Steve. I'm
really, really sorry.' "

Frantic to know the fate of his father, he and his companions motored
back toward St. Rita's and came across "Mr. Sal" Mangano in another boat.

"I asked him what he was doing out riding in a boat when he's got 35
people floating in his building," he said.

"I said you were afraid to lose two or three in transport, and now you
have 35 floating in your building. And he said, 'They're floating all
over the parish.'

He told the home's owner: "You are responsible for those people, and you
should've gotten them out."

Mr. Gallodoro's companions drove their boat away to avoid a physical
confrontation. He grabbed a fire department radio to ask for 35 body
bags. Told there weren't that many available, he radioed back for one.
All that anyone could offer was a black plastic bag, and he was told
that if he managed to find his father, "no one would take the body."

"We had nowhere to put them," he said. "We were still saving lives."

Ms. Buffano said the most fragile of the patients who survived the flood
were taken out by boat three days after the storm, and she and others
were moved in a dump truck to the St. Bernard Parish Jail on the fourth
day.

She said she last saw the Manganos in a boat, headed back to St. Rita's
to search the murky, stinking water again. Eventually, she said, she and
her family were taken to the Algiers Ferry and loaded onto buses bound
for the Houston Astrodome.

And in the days that followed, as the dead of St. Rita's remained in the
wreckage, families of the home's patients began finding out whether
their relatives lived or died.

Earline Labatt, an 84-year-old grandmother, survived the flood only to
die days later of infections from the storm water, moaning about
alligators and rising water, said her daughter, Jeannie Bachemin.

She said her family had a chance to see her while she still could
recognize them, and they were with her when she died in a Baton Rouge
hospital. Mrs. Labatt had raised 10 kids in St. Bernard Parish, called
numbers at the local bingo hall and once worked at a local restaurant
before being confined to a wheelchair and debilitated with complications
from diabetes.

"We got to say goodbye. She knew who we were," she said. "The people who
drowned didn't get to do that."

Home abandoned

Another survivor, 75-year-old Trishka Stevens, told relatives about
water reaching her mouth before a stranger appeared in her room and
asked if she could reach up to him. She recounted being swept up in his
arms and hauled out, breaking ribs as she was pulled onto the nursing
home roof, said her granddaughter, Chicago-area resident Jodie Hanson.

"In my heart, I don't think the Manganos had bad intentions," Mrs.
Hanson said. "I think they honestly just made a terrible mistake. Some
people say it was about the money. That they wouldn't get paid. Some
people say they were naive and expected they'd be fine. Some people say
that nobody expected the water.

"When the lives of people are in your hands, you should run from danger
and not take any chance," she said. "Unfortunately, they made a bad
judgment call. When you make mistakes, you have to be accountable."

Authorities finally removed bodies from the home 10 days after the
hurricane, and the nursing home sits abandoned, filled with the
belongings of those who lived and died inside its brick and steel walls.

Three mud-caked body bags were dropped at one entrance, and a wooden
pirogue, one of the shallow-draft boats ubiquitous along the Louisiana
coast, sits just in front of the home's front doors.

The interior smells of death and is littered with furniture and
belongings: a bright pink pillow, Mardi Gras beads and a tiara, photos
of grandchildren, rosaries and sacred hearts of Jesus, an article
declaring someone's loved teenager "first Miss Louisiana Shrimp Festival
Queen."

A clock hung at eye-level in one patient's room is frozen at 10:40.

In another room, the name "Alma" is carefully arranged in
refrigerator-magnet letters on a metal light-fixture that once hung over
a bed. There are photos of young men in uniform, and in one room, a
white lace curtain lays beneath a broken window, improbably clean in a
sea of ankle-deep grime.

In Tufanio Gallodoro's room, number 306, the bulletin board above his
bed, papered with Christmas wrap, has a yellow rosary, a bit of ribbon,
and a white plastic cross with the sacred heart of Jesus. One shelf
holds cheese crackers and a jar of cookies. A thick burgundy blanket
lies on the ruined bed frame.

The Gallodoros are still waiting for word of when they can bury their
father, a former truck driver, grandfather of six and great-grandfather
of seven. They live, for now, in a borrowed trailer in the tiny town of
Church Point, near Lafayette. Many in the close-knit family say they
can't get out of their heads what their patriarch endured.

"The thought of my dad drowning is just unbearable. If they told me he
had died of a heart attack or a stroke in the move, that would be hard,"
Cheryl Gallodoro Emmons said. "That he was so deathly afraid of water
and he died in it – that's the hardest thing."

Mr. Gallodoro, Tufanio's firefighter son, said he's struggled with what
he suspects made the Manganos stay. "It was a money issue. The cost of
evacuation was something that they didn't want to pay," he said.

And like Mr. Gallodoro, other residents say they believe that the
Manganos now should pay.

"There was no reason for it," said Mr. Ingargiola, an exhausted man who
raises his middle finger in a rude salute to show what he thinks of his
former schoolmates. "No reason at all for it. If they had just followed
their damn plan, everything would've been all right."

/Staff writer Karen Brooks contributed to this report.
/

/
/