[StBernard] Governor Babineaux Blanco's letter to Vice Admiral Thad Allen

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 22 15:47:15 EDT 2005

September 22, 2005

Vice Admiral Thad Allen
United States Coast Guard
2100 2nd Street, SW
Washington, DC 20593

Dear Admiral Allen,

Consistent with our request earlier this morning and due to Hurricane Rita's
potential impact on Southwest Louisiana, I am confirming the request that
the federal government be prepared to immediately provide 15,000 Federal
forces with command and control. The purpose is to assist the State of
Louisiana with Emergency Evacuation, Search and Rescue (SAR) (boats,
high-water vehicles, and helicopters), Security, Logistics, Medical,
Communications, and Transportation Operations.

In addition, the request included federal preparation to provide temporary
housing (tents city) with life support for up to 100,000 displaced citizens
(20,000 sheltered in state, 80,000 sheltered out of state). Pre-position
bus transportation with 150 buses in SE Louisiana AOR and 300 buses in SW
Louisiana AOR.

Once again, I want to express my appreciation to you both personally and on
behalf of the people of Louisiana. It is clear to me that you stand ready
to do all in your power to help us during this hour of need. Please contact
me or Colonel Jeff Smith, State Coordinating Officer, with your response as
soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor