[StBernard] Suggestion to Prevent Future Losses

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 26 21:04:03 EDT 2005

Below is the text of a letter I have sent to our Congressional delegation.

You can also view it on my new web site:
http://www.CajunCrossFire.com

Regards,
Westley Annis
504-250-6407

----

Senator Mary Landrieu
724 Hart
Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510

Senator David Vitter
516 Hart
Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510

Rep. Charles Melancon
404 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515-1803

Dear Sirs and Madam,

As you are well aware, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita have left a devastating
effect on southern Louisiana. Unfortunately, because of the standard
practices of some mortgage companies, some residents are left in a greater
bind than was necessary.

Not all homes in southern Louisiana are in what FEMA calls a flood zone and
therefore were not required to carry flood insurance. Although it was not
required, I, along with others asked my mortgage company to allow flood
insurance premiums to be included in our escrow since this would provide an
easy and efficient method for us to be sure we put aside the funds each year
to pay for flood insurance.

Unfortunately, Washington Mutual, my mortgage company has a policy of not
allowing home owners to use their escrow accounts to pay for flood insurance
for those who are in a Flood Zone B. Although I did pay for this insurance
on my own, with the collapse of the economy after the 2001 terror attacks, I
did not have the funds available to renew the flood insurance when it became
due.

With the many events that take place during everyday life, renewing the
policy once the funds did become available simply slipped my mind leaving me
without flood insurance at the one point in my life that I truly needed it.

Therefore, I am requesting that you, along with the rest of the Louisiana
delegation, draft legislation that requires all mortgage companies to allow
home owners to include flood insurance in their escrow accounts regardless
of the Flood Zone they are in. The mortgage companies already do this for
home owners who are in a flood prone area so they have the mechanisms in
place to handle such a request.

One small change on their part could mean a world of difference not only for
home owners, but also for the mortgage companies themselves. How many home
owners in Louisiana will have to declare bankruptcy and completely walk away
from their homes because they were not given the best opportunities to
purchase flood insurance?

Sincerely,
/s/ Westley Annis

Westley Annis