[StBernard] RE: Conditon of my home

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 26 22:02:31 EDT 2005

Hi Tina,

I can't really give you definitive answers.

I haven't tried to recover any personal property yet. But from talking with
others these are the steps that I plan on taking when we return at the end
of the week.

We are going to abandon any dishes. We didn't have any that were worth
anything to begin with, so no real loss for us. For those who have fine
china, it is a different story. Be sure you wash all of the dirt and grime
off of it then sanitize by rinsing it with a mixture of water and bleach (1
teaspoon bleach / 1 gallon water).

For other items it will depend on how much moisture they could handle. I
would wash as much dirt and grime off as possible then rinse in distilled
water.

My home had water up to the ceiling, about 8 feet, at a minimum. I don't
know yet if it made it into the attic. I'm really hoping it didn't and
there's about another 6-12 inches of space before the water would penetrate
the attic, so we may have lucked out.

I'm not going back till the weekend, so I won't know until then.

Westley