[StBernard] Guards in the parish??where are they??

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 27 23:17:49 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: rose campagna [mailto:roseglorioso at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:11 PM
To: westley at da-parish.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: [StBernard] Guards in the parish??where are they??

Westley, if it is any consolation to Suzie Showalter, my story of going to
St.Bernard is very different. I also went in on Monday, 9/26/ and waited in
line from 5:15 am til 6:15 as they would not let anyone in til daylight.
Although my id was not checked at the parish line sat Judy Hoffmeister and
several St. Bernard policemen along with the National Guard. While
traveling down Genie to Palmisano we encountered a sheriff's deputy warning
us to be careful of water mocassins. National Guard passed on Palmisano at
least twice while we were going through the 2nd story of my home-the first
floor was totally destroyed and not able to walk in. We then proceeded to
St. Bernard Hwy to go to my son's and back to Paris Road where we
encountered national guard and police at various intersections. I will
admit that not once were we asked for identification but the presence of
military control was obvious.
There was evidence of unauthorized occupancy of my home at sometime between
my evacuation and my return yesterday, however I hold onto the hope that the
person sought refuge and my home served as their salvation. As for looting
that may have occured in my home, that person had to be much more desparate
than I and will be judged by a higher authority. Just thought I would share
my experience and give credit where credit is due to officials and national
guard.