[StBernard] Murphy Oil Press Release

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 28 11:36:49 EDT 2005

Murphy Oil USA, Inc. Commits to Major Hurricane Relief Program

CHALMETTE, La.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 28, 2005--
President Hulse says company will help people of St. Bernard Parish
rebuild their community and their lives - pledges millions in assistance

W. Michael Hulse, President of Murphy Oil USA, Inc., a subsidiary of Murphy
Oil Corporation (NYSE: MUR), released a letter to the people of St. Bernard
Parish assuring them that Murphy would stand by them and help in the
aftermath of the worst disaster in the community's history.

"There is no doubt that Hurricane Katrina tremendously impacted St. Bernard
Parish, but my travels in the parish and conversations with the brave people
of the community have reassured me that it didn't damage our spirit or
willingness to help each other," Mr. Hulse writes in his letter, "It is
clear to me that the families and businesses of St. Bernard Parish intend to
rebuild their lives and their community, and I want you to know that Murphy
will help you with both."

Mr. Hulse's letter, which ran in full page ads in local newspapers, outlines
a number of specific initiatives Murphy has taken or will be undertaking and
references a total of $5 million of donations the company will be making in
the near future.

Mr. Hulse says that as he drove through the community seeing one street
after another of broken windows, twisted roofs, battered buildings and
water-ravaged homes three things became obvious to him. "First, Katrina had
not only devastated the community, it had also devastated lives," he says,
"Second, we all owe a huge debt to the brave men and women who stood on the
front lines and battled this terrible tragedy on that first day and remain
there today slowly but surely regaining ground. Third, Murphy Oil needs to
help our neighbors and make a major commitment to bringing St. Bernard
Parish back to life."

In making good on that final commitment, Mr. Hulse confirmed today that
Murphy Oil USA, Inc. will make the following contributions:

-- $2 million to St. Bernard Parish to help fund the relief efforts in the
parish;

-- $1 million to the St. Bernard Parish United Way;

-- $1 million to the St. Bernard Parish Public School System; and,

-- $1 million to help local businesses re-open and get people back to work.

Mr. Hulse also recognized that some residents may have questions about
whether or not their homes and property may have been affected by the oil
leak caused by the storm, but said his understanding at the moment is that
all final determinations about the safety and habitability and future of
property in St. Bernard Parish have to be made by local, state and federal
government agencies. In the meantime, he encouraged residents who believe
they may have been impacted to call 1-877-511-1006.

For Murphy Oil USA employees displaced by Hurricane Katrina, Mr. Hulse
indicated that the company had provided all employees an extra month's pay
to help them cover emergency expenses and plans to announce additional
financial measures to help employees who are displaced from their homes
until the plant is back up and running. Mr. Hulse also said that the company
will be providing employees with information on the progress at the refinery
and plans for getting people back to work.