[StBernard] News You Can Use 9/28/05]

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 30 19:49:59 EDT 2005

Craig,

You are absolutely correct. The cost of building materials and labor are
increasing by the day. A quote you would get from contractor "today" to
rebuild your home will be less than what he would quote you two months from
now. Maybe this will help everyone get a clear picutre of what lies ahead.
Remember the hurricane that hit Honduras just a few years ago and a few days
later we all went into Home Depot and noticed how sheetrock and plywood
increased dramatically? That's because so much of the resources and supply
was heading to central America. Now, there are some 250,000 homes that need
to be rebuilt in the New Olreans area. What do you think that's going to do
to the cost of building materials and labor? The Honduran destruction was
only a fraction compared to Katrina. I personally know people in Florida
who only had minor roof damage from hurricanes over a year ago and they're
still waiting for a roofer to get to them.

Since my posting I've recieved over a hundred emails and phone calls. Let
me state hear what I've recommended so far. I would only use a contractor
is has been established in Louisiana well prior to Katrina. You're going to
have contractors filing into Louisiana for permits from every state in the
union. My suggestion might very well cause you to wait longer to get a
contractor, but why do I suggest this? Because it's a lot easier to sue a
contractor who is a few miles away from you then having to fly out to
California to do it. I can tell you right now builders are going to push
their worker to work fast so they can get to the next job and there's a
likely chance that the quality of their work will suffer. So, be prepared
in a few years when your door doesn't close the way it should and you start
noticing a lot of little problems around your house. Think long term and
use a long established Louisiana contractor. Also, don't be fooled if the
contractor's truck has a sign on it with a local address and phone number.
He could have easily just rented an office in the N.O. area and got a local
phone number. Ask him to show you documentation that's he been in Louisiana
for years and all documents showing he's licensed and bonded/fully insured.

God bless and best of luck to everyone,

John Scurich
scurich at bellsouth.net
(985) 882-6588