[StBernard] apology to all the officials in St. bernard parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 1 00:05:56 EDT 2005

hi

i recently wrote to ask about security and check points in st. bernard after
my sister and her husband went tocheck on their homes and were not stopped
by anyone when entering the parish...several people responded about my
comments..(i was worried about people looting my home, that I had not
visited yet)

Well please accept an apology .. I never intended to say that parish
officals werent doing a good job..I think they are...I hope they and theie
families the best of luck in the future....for staying and doing this
job...It will take many families the will and stamina to go back and rebuild
to make a GREATER St. Bernard Parish....

But after visiting my home today...I totally understand...what they
meant...NO ONE would want to go into your home....not even myself....With
over 3 FEET of sludge mud and straw on my bottom floor,, there is very
limited access to the home...

I am totally in disbelief of what I saw throughout the parish....I can NOT
believe the devestation of such a large scale...I dont think from what I saw
there is one house or business that was spared.....

After spending the past few days at my daughters home in Old Metairie..I
have watched on the cable station a video that was made of the entire
Metairie, Jefferson area through the storm, during the storm and after the
storm> Does anyone know if any type video was made of ST. Bernard Parish?
I think if we could get the cable station to drive throughout the parish and
capture the pure devestation of our homes, and livelyhoods and have CNN or
one of the major news stations show it,,,surely we could have a fund set up
for ST. Bernard parish with donations coming right into St. Bernard to help
build better levees and fill in the lower places in the parish..
..Since there isnt much federal help anywhere to be seen...We could start
our own fund raising...

I know many of us want to return to St. Bernard,,,but not the old St.
Bernard a "BETTER" St. Bernard... Because it will always be our home, but
most of us would like it to be our "Childrens' Homes Too"

thanks

susie showalter