[StBernard] Bad news from Fr. Maestri on unemployment for teachers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 1 11:00:27 EDT 2005

I am sitting here writing this memo in disbelief. My
husband, Ricky, just called to give me this bit of
info. He went to work this morning to do the am news
and ran into Fr. Maestri. He felt he would take the
opportunity to question Fr. about why my unemployment
might have been denied. Fr. told him that teachers
can't get unemployment since the Archdiocese DID NOT
payment unemployment ins for TEACHERS!!!! However,
for other staff (I guess office and maintainance
workers) members they did pay for unemployment and
will be able to collect. But NOT TEACHERS. Don't get
me wrong, I'm happy for those who are able to collect,
but who is it really that is the body of the school? I
always thought it was the teachers. And still think
it is. So why were we not given the same treatment
when it came to being "taken care of" as the
secretaries and the maintainance staff?????
Fr. also said that they (meaning teachers) know that
they can't collect. Ricky's reply was "no they do
not." Fr went on to say that teachers can collect
from FEMA. Is FEMA really going to pay loss of
wages???? It certainly is puzzling to me that the
Archdiocese didn't carry unemployment insurance for
their employees. However, when I spoke to Kim
Duplantier she told me they carry unemployment ins as
well as some sort of uninterruption of wages insurance
also. And Kim's is a business that takes care of
people's pets whereas we are educating children.

I had been teaching at SMS for the last 14 years and
was NEVER made aware of the fact re: NO unemployment
ins. I can't believe that the archdiocese would not
afford us such a thing after the dedicated service
that has been put in by myself and many others. I can
also say that I have received help from the Baptist
churches here in Baton Rouge from day one. We were
given new mattresses, blankets, sheets,
towels,clothing, food, toiletries, a sofa, and some
furniture. Of course it was mostly used things but
nice things. Matter of fact, one gentleman from the
church that has been such a blessing to our family,
called me 2 days ago just to find out how we were
doing and asked "Is there anything else you need?" I
am still waiting to receive help from the Catholic
church but haven't heard anything yet.

Lastly, if anyone have any info to correct me on this
please do so. I would love to be corrected and proven
wrong. However, since this information came directly
from Fr Maestri to my husband's ears on 10/01/05 at
about 8am (ish), any correction if not from a reliable
source (namely Maestri himself) is going to be very
hard to believe. Even the article in this morning's
paper never says "teachers" it continuously states
"employees". I am certainly very disheartened at this
new bit of news and feel very let down by the
Archdiocese and the Catholic church.

Sincerely,

Anna Meyers
(4th gr teacher at SMS since '92)