[StBernard] Bad news from Fr. Maestri on unemployment for teachers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 1 11:27:02 EDT 2005

Anna,

Yours is the second story I am hearing of this. I had received another
email about this, but was waiting on verification before I sent it out.

Luckily Erica has been able to get hired by the Terrebonne Parish School
Board, so we do not need to rely on any unemployment for her.

Personally, I think Katrina has now caught the Archdiocese of New Orleans
business office with its pants down.

While they were probably all happy to take advantage of different loopholes
within current business and tax law, it is now turning around to bite them.
Besides the fact that there is no unemployment for teachers, there is no
COBRA to give you the option of continuing your health insurance. Although,
the Archdiocese is making arrangements to still give you some method of
continuing your insurance, the numbers I've heard don't add up. Just on our
own personal insurance, it sounds like the premiums would jump up yet
another $150 or so above what we were paying combined with what the school
was kicking in.

It is very difficult right now, even though it is now a month later, to just
sit tight and wait a couple of days before jumping to any conclusions, but I
do believe it is best to wait until you receive something in writing before
reacting to it.

I truly believe what Ricky said about the unemployment insurance, and
although it is helpful it would only amount to around $3300 over a six month
period. With luck, and a little prayer, perhaps the Archdiocese will see
fit to give teachers a lump-sum severance package.

I don't know of one teacher that taught at a Catholic school for the money.
They all did it for the love of children and to teach the ways of the Lord.

Sharon often said those who worked at St. Mark would be taken care of later.
Perhaps later came sooner than expected. Hopefully the Archdiocese will
recognise this and fix the problem that they have created for themselves.

If you have not done so already, please be sure you have called the
Archdiocese Employee Hotline at 888-366-5024 by Monday, October 3. The way
I read the annoucement, even teachers should get at least two weeks
severance pay.

I did just try calling the number for Erica and an answering service
answers. The lady told me to call back on Monday, after 9:00 AM, at
504-834-5592. I don't know if the 888 number normally points to the
Metairie number, but you can certainly try that first on Monday if you want
to try to avoid long-distance charges.

Westley