[StBernard] Governor Blanco holds press conference

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 3 10:55:14 EDT 2005

GOVERNOR BLANCO, LOCAL LEADERS CALLS FOR FEDERAL ACTION TO PROVIDE FUNDS FOR
CRITICAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT SERVICES

BATON ROUGE, LA--Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco will meet today with
local and parish officials from South Louisiana to discuss how the federal
government can help local governments get back on their feet after
hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

The Governor will hold a press conference with a group of mayors, parish
presidents, police jurors, sheriffs and other public safety personnel. The
press conference will take place in the Governor's Press Room on the 4th
floor of the Louisiana Capitol at 2 p.m. on Monday, October 3.

At the press conference, Governor Blanco and local officials will discuss
amending the Stafford Act to allow the federal government to pay the
salaries of critical public safety and other local government employees.

Governor Blanco has said that without federal assistance to pay for
restoring critical public services, including law enforcement and public
safety, the restoration of many local governments cannot begin. On
Thursday, at a meeting to discuss the restoration of Louisiana's economy,
Governor Blanco discussed the issue with a group of business leaders:

"Part of getting our communities and our businesses up and running again is
having our local governments providing basic services. Every community must
have police and fire protection, sewage and water service.

"That's why I've asked President Bush and congressional leaders to change
the rules of the Stafford Act. We need to allow federal aid money to cover
more than overtime for public employees.

"Our cities and parishes need to make payroll. They must pay the men and
women who provide those basic services. Changing the Stafford Act will allow
them to provide those basic services.

"I am asking Congress to make that change within a week. The funds are
already available. Quick action is critical."

WHERE: Governor's Press Room, 4th Floor, State Capitol

WHEN: Monday, October 3, 2005 at 2:00 p.m.

###