[StBernard] Murphy Oil Clarifications

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 3 12:54:48 EDT 2005

There has been a lot of rumors circulating about what Murphy Oil's plans are
for the homes that have been affected by the oil spill and some additional
questions about their $5 million donation toward relief efforts.

I talked to Kevin Roussel, local press contact for Murphy Oil, and he was
able to supply some answers to these questions.

The breakdown of the $5 million donation:

-- $2 million to Parish Government to spend as they see fit for relief
efforts.

-- $1 million to St. Bernard Parish School Board - again to spend as they
see fit to get schools back into operation.

-- $1 million to St. Bernard Parish United Way - this money is to be used
only in St. Bernard Parish.

-- $1 million to the St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce - this money is to
assist local businesses get their businesses started up again. I'm not sure
who is heading the Chamber and what criteria they will use to distribute
funds, but Murphy Oil has left it at their discretion.

As for homes that have or may have been impacted by the oil spill, again, it
is important that you call the Murphy Oil Claims number at 1-877-511-1006.
Besides letting Murphy know who you are and that you think your home was
impacted, this also gives Murphy a way to contact you so that they can get
permission to go on your property and/or enter your home to take samples.

At this time Murphy Oil has not contracted with any company, nor instructed
anyone to call residents and make any type of settlement offer or offer to
purchase homes. Any claims to the contrary are false.

While they are doing their own safety analysis, Murphy Oil has to wait on
federal, state, and local government officials to make a determination if
any buildings will be torn down. They also have to get further clarification
from the Department of Environmental Quality as to whether any of these
homes and lots will be safe for long-term exposure.

Mr. Roussel has promised to send me any new press releases that Murphy Oil
releases regarding the oil spill to keep everyone updated as much as
possible. He has also said that Murphy Oil will do the right thing once all
the government reports have been released.

In the meantime, as I have stated before, I urge everyone to stay away from
these class action law suits that are popping all over the place. Give
Murphy a chance to prove itself as a good neighbor.

I'm no lawyer, but I do believe you should have at least a full year, that's
365 days, from the date of the oil spill (Sep 3) to file a legal claim. If
there is a need for legal action, being first in line is not going to get
you a bigger award. Filing suit now only slows things down by pulling
resources away from dealing with the spill.

Look at the history of past class action suits. Most of them endup with the
attorneys walking away with millions of dollars while the actual plaintiffs,
that would be you, end up with a five dollar off coupon.

We all want this settled, especially Murphy Oil, but don't rush it.

Westley