[StBernard] Mike Bendich

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 3 12:58:36 EDT 2005

Mike:

Beth and I were at our house Thursday through Saturday night.
Unfortunately, it is hard to tell rumors from facts. We all seem to be in
the same boat trying to find out what should be our next step. The water
stopped 18 inches from our ceiling, so upstairs was perfect except for the
front window that the police broke out. They broke the window downstairs,
but furniture was blocking their entrance. I don't blame them, but since I
had boarded the front and back doors, I would have assumed that no one was
in the house, but I don;t know what instructions they were given.

We want to return and, if and when someone in authority makes a decision, we
will know what to do. We have no relatives or any place near Chalmette, so
we are in Chattanooga. If St. Bernard Parish would give the authorization
and give our neighborhood a little support, especially given the property
taxes we pay, I would have a travel trailer placed in my driveway, so that I
could be "home" and begin working on my house. All I would need is for
Entergy to run a line from the telephone pole across the street (as they do
when they are constructing a new home), and running water. If we keep
waiting, everything is going to spread up and inside the walls and then we
will have to tear out upstairs also. That would be at OUR expense.

I am trying to contact every official I can to address the above issue.
Although the neighborhood looks bad, with the except of Pam and John
Frigola's house and those at the end of the street, those that want to come
back can rebuild. I hope that many chose to, but I can understand their
fears.

Take care of yourself. I know that is even more difficult being overseas
and not knowing, but in my opinion, our neighborhood can be saved. I hope
we hear from others.

john.f.richardson at gmail.com
cell phone-504-228-1542