[StBernard] STATEMENT: Governor calls congressional action bittersweet

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 9 00:59:48 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: John Richardson

Governor Blanco continues to publicly place President Bush on the hot seat
to approve funding for Louisiana, without addressing how Louisiana intends
to contribute to rebuilding our economic base. One quick fix to help
Louisiana residents keep more money in their hands is to do what Tennessee
and Georgia have done - eliminate state taxes on gasoline for the next few
months. This is of major significance at a time when Louisiana residents
are driving back and forth excessively to clean-up and repair their homes.
As an example, I pay less money per gallon driving from Chattanooga, until I
hit Louisiana. At that point, the cost of filling my car increases an
additional $2 or so, until I am back on the road to TN.

Another action that should be taken is to expand the Homestead Exemption to
ALL Louisiana residents this year only. We can all agree that the value of
our homes is currently significantly less than before Hurricane Katrina.

Gov. Blanco is correct in her assumption that some members of Congress don't
understand the desperate situation Louisiana governments face, but she
apparently doesn't understand that these additional monies will flow back
into the Louisiana economy, benefitting all.

As we hold out hands out for federal assistance, it is only fair that we
demonstrate that we are prepared to make sacrifices. Since much of
Louisiana's budgeted income comes from each barrel of oil, the above cuts
would easily be offset, given the current cost of each barrel.

What about it? Are we prepared to be an example and convince others that
our requests involve a thorough review and elimination of all budgeted
items that are only critical to those interested more in getting votes than
in helping Louisiana rebuild its economy, thus benefitting the entire
country?