[StBernard] Looking for Help

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 16 12:51:37 EDT 2005

To anyone who can help:

We are anxious to leave Chattanooga and would gladly accept ANY work; we
just want to go home. I have called FEMA numerous times and will drive
(for the fourth time) this Friday to Chalmette to speak to them about
getting a trailer in front of my home on Corinne Avenue. There is a
light pole directly accross the street, so it should not be difficult
for Entergy to run a power line to the trailer the same as they do for
new construction. I understand that water will be available next week,
so I would only need to either find the wash-out line or pay to have the
waste removed the same way they handle port-o-lets. Once there I can
start to rebuild. Having to drive to within 4 hours of Chalmette to
locate a room, then work six hours, only to have a 5-6 hour ride back
doesn't afford much time to clean-up. This has been the process for the
last three weekends and I have made minimal progress. I am driving back
again this coming Friday, and hope to meet with FEMA, and hopefully they
will have some answers. I can't blame them when they are telling me
that they cannot make decisions on "who gets a trailer" until the EPA
and the parish officials decide who can return. At this point, if I can
get a trailer in front of my house, I will sleep in the dark. If we
want to see the parish rebuilt, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THAT PEOPLE ARE
RETURNING TO STAY.

I know that our officials are busy, but sometimes it seems like certain
priorities are out of order. For example, last week we drove down
Highway 190 and found nothing but destruction, however, ALL THE
TELEPHONE POLES HAD BEEN REPLACED AND WIRED. This is progress, but we
only saw six people all the way to the bridge. This effort should have
been directed to St. Bernard. When can we expect electricity and in
what order. It is obvious that Arabi is pretty much gone, so the first
areas to get water and electricity would be those located past Paris
Road to the Refinery, then Middle Chalmette, Carolyn Park, etc.

I don't want to leave St. Bernard, but I can buy a house here cheaper
than in St. Bernard, and could move on with our lives. Please post the
official plans on the parish website as soon as possible so that we know
whether or not we are wasting our time. Thank you and God Bless.

On 10/15/05, *Westley Annis* <westley at da-parish.com