[StBernard] Declare the parish uninhabitable

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 18 07:48:27 EDT 2005

Wes,

I would have to agree with the other person who said this would help St.
Bernard residents with claims. Here is an example of a recent call with my
adjuster. I asked for the funds that are in my homeowners policy while my
home is inhabitable. I was told that first they would have to assess my
home. Like many of the other emails, the adjuster did not go into my home,
and was told that they are using the water line to determine what will be
covered by flood and what will be covered by homeowners. My dilema, and that
of the insurance company, how do we know what damaged was caused bu flood
and what was caused by wind...i.e. had the water not come, how much damage
would there have been and of course how much was done before the water. I
was told they want to pro-rate these funds based on my wind damage and just
my luck the water protected my house from any major wind damage and the
water line is to the catherdral ceilings in my home. We can come in and
start the clean up however, I have other issues. First, I am a single mother
of 3 (14, 12, and 7 months), 2 of my own and the nephew I adopted after my
brother's death. If my house is habitable, where do they go to school? While
the water is running, is it drinkable and safe for baby formula? Winter is
coming, what about heat? I was in New Orleans the week before last, where
are grocery stores that are reasonably priced? While they are not gouging
per se, the prices are definitely inflated. Is it really safe for me to move
back? I was stopped by the police when I was out after curfew, and was
informed that my life was in danger if I did not have a gun (this was in New
Orleans proper mind you) Are children safe to come back into my home or on
the property with mold and possible physical threats (snakes, wild animals,
disease) especially considering my 7 month old was a premee and needs
special care? Doctors? Medications? etc. etc. etc.... I have raised all of
these issues to my insurance, and my answer- it wasn't their problem and my
living expenses outside of what they deemed as necessary would be my
problem. Even if the order was temporary (until december), it would go a
long way in helping citizens.