[StBernard] Attorney General Gonzales Visits Chalmette

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 21 20:40:22 EDT 2005

Attorney General Gonzales Visits Chalmette

October 21, 2005

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales met with law enforcement officials in
Chalmette on Thursday, Oct. 20, while visiting a disaster relief center at
the Super Wal-Mart parking lot.

"I'm here to see what I can do to help,'' Gonzales said of his visit to St.
Bernard.

He met with St. Bernard Parish Sheriff Jack Stephens, New Orleans Police
Superintendent Warren Riley, Plaquemines Parish Sheriff Jiff Hingle and
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Newell Normand.

Gonzales' visit was part of a trip to New Orleans in which he spoke to the
Hurricane Katrina Fraud Task Force, a group of federal and local police and
prosecutors formd to root out fraud in the hurricane recovery effort.

More than 40 people nationwide have been indicted in some 17 fraud-related
criminal cases involving people who have tried to take advantage of relief
efforts, Gonzales said.