[StBernard] FEMA Flood Levels

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 22 19:22:18 EDT 2005

Charlie,

St. Tammany is a few weeks ahead of the rebuild phase than St. Bernard
simply because they did not incur as much damage. There are only so
many FEMA officials who can make this decision and they can only do so
much in a day. It makes sense to get the homes most ready to be
repaired inspected first.

As for a decision being made about St. Bernard, I would say it is a good
bet that the same will be said. The question will be how high?

Westley

--------------------------

see the info below about Slidell - - when will the same be mentioned
about St. Bernard? what are we to do?

Mike Ross / Northshore Bureau Chief
Many Slidell residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed by Katrina
are being advised to hold off on repairs until FEMA inspects their house
or face sticker shock for flood insurance.

Slidell Mayor Ben Morris said he has prepared permits telling residents
that if they do repair their homes, they are doing it at their own risk.

FEMA says that homes with damage costing more than half of its value and
that are not elevated at least nine feet above sea level will have to be
raised to that level or the owners will face huge increases in flood
insurance premiums.

“If they’re below base flood level elevation, their insurance will be
extremely expensive,” said Martin Frengs of FEMA. “(It will be) in the
thousands of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars per year like
they’re paying now.”

That news has come as a big shock to some “do-it-yourselfers” who have
already begun working on their homes.
Stephanie Ballay of Slidell said she was in the process of repairing her
home when told that she might have to spend thousands to raise it.

“I was scheduled to start hanging my sheetrock today and all of that had
to be put on hold,” she complained. “I might have to take money out of
my pocket to lift my house and that seems so unfair.”

FEMA says it will not deny flood coverage to those who don’t raise their
homes – though it will be more expensive – and that it will also help
with some of the cost.

Morris said he won’t believe that until he sees it in writing.
“(I have) zero confidence until the program is in writing and they tell
us the money is available,” he said.

Charlie Fos
V.P. Distribution
Randa Corp.