[StBernard] Update from the St. Bernard Parish School Board Superintendent Doris Voitier

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 28 21:12:12 EDT 2005

Update from the St. Bernard Parish School Board Superintendent Doris Voitier

October 28,2005

Registration for students returning for the reopening of the St. Bernard
Parish Public Schools will be held Wednesday, Nov 2nd through Saturday, Nov
5th at the administration office, 200 E. St. Bernard Hwy., from 9 a.m. - 3
p.m. daily.

Parents should bring the following information with them to registration:

* If children were previously enrolled in the public schools prior to
Katrina, no registration documents are necessary.
* If children were enrolled in other schools prior to Katrina, please
bring proof of residency in St. Bernard, i.e., driver's license.
* If children now reside in St. Bernard because parents are living in
"trailer communities" within parish lines, please bring a letter from your
St. Bernard-based employer indicating that you are living on site.

We anticipate that school will open on November 14th, provided that proper
EPA and DEQ clearances are granted by that date.

We will be asking children to wear uniforms to school; however, that will
not be a deterrent to attendance. We are trying to have them donated to the
children and will be tolerant of those students without uniforms until we
can secure a uniform for them.

Transportation and lunch services will be provided. The school district has
some operational busses and we will map out transportation routes within St.
Bernard using those busses. We also will be providing after-school programs
to give the children supervised outlets for fun and recreation each day.
Participation in the after-school program, which will be free of charge to
parents, is voluntary. Health and counseling services are also planned.

School hours will be determined once the registration is complete.

Please attend registration on one of those dates, so that we may sit down
with you and your child and plan his/her education program. It is obvious
that children will return to school with varying school experiences for the
first part of the year. Therefore, proper planning is very important.

You can address questions to the school district through its Assistant
Superintendent, beverly.lawrason at la.gov or the State Department of Education
hotline - 1-877-453-2721 - ask for St. Bernard Parish Public Schools.