[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 1 22:58:53 EST 2005

IN THIS ISSUE

PHOTO SPOTLIGHT
RECOGNIZING BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
INTRODUCING KATRINA RECOVERY ADMINISTRATOR BILL
INTRODUCING FAIRNESS IN CONTRACTING ACT
EXPEDITING DEBRIS REMOVAL
FUNDING COASTAL RESTORATION

Because October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I hope that you will join
me in encouraging all of the women in your family to get a mammogram, which
is the single most effective method of early detection of breast cancer.
Recently, I became the sponsor of a bill to further breast cancer research.

As Louisiana communities continue on the road to recovery from Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita, please know that I am constantly working on ways to bring
federal resources to the table. I've introduced a couple of specific bills
to assist recovery efforts, worked on a bill to expedite debris removal and
pushed for additional coastal restoration resources.

These are some of the things I have been up to recently in Washington.
Please click on the links below to find out about other things I have been
working on to benefit families in Louisiana.

<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/images/vitter_signature.gif>

P.S. - Please feel free to forward this information to your friends and
relatives.

Photo Spotlight

<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/photos/michoud103105.jpg>
Visit to Michoud Assembly Facility. On October 13, I stopped at the Michoud
Assembly Facility to express my appreciation to NASA and Lockheed Martin
employees for their work during Hurricane Katrina in protecting the facility
and for returning to work as soon as they did. The employees presented me
with a plaque made from a tree that fell during the storm.

Recognizing Breast Cancer Awareness Month

My family, like many Louisiana families, is all too familiar with the
devastating disease of breast cancer. At age 6, my wife Wendy lost her
mother to breast cancer. And this is part of the reason why I have been so
active in legislation to raise awareness about screenings and treatment for
breast cancer.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM), and this month is
a good time to reflect on a disease that has impacted virtually every
American's life. More than 211,000 new cases of breast cancer will be
diagnosed in the United States this year alone. And one out of seven
American women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.

You may be well aware that early detection saves lives. This is a message
that bears repeating. The sooner breast cancer is detected, the less likely
a highly invasive treatment will be needed and the chances of survival are
increased.

To read more about Breast Cancer Awareness Month and a bill I am
cosponsoring in the Senate, the Breast Cancer Environmental Research Act,
please visit my website
<http://vitter.senate.gov/columns/breastcancer102805.html>

Introducing Katrina Recovery Administrator Bill

Earlier this month, I introduced two bills that focus on Louisiana's
recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: The Louisiana Katrina Recovery
Administrator Act of 2005 and the Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita
Fairness in Contracting Act of 2005.

The Louisiana Katrina Recovery Administrator would be focused exclusively on
the efficient and effective use of federal resources for rebuilding
Southeast Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina. As we move forward in the
rebuilding process, we need a business leader with strong managerial
experience to direct and coordinate the federal recovery efforts, cut
through red tape and ensure that all federal funds are used wisely and not
wasted so that we have something lasting to show for this effort.

Visit my website <http://www.vitter.senate.gov> to read more about the
statement of commitment from local businesses and to see a list of the
companies committed to rebuilding in southeast Louisiana.

Introducing Fairness in Contracting Act

The Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita Fairness in Contracting Act of 2005
would severely restrict FEMA in handing out the huge no-bid contracts that
agency seems wedded to. Money is being wasted in these huge no-bid
contracts, and very few Louisiana workers and businesses are involved in the
rebuilding effort when this involvement is so essential to real economic
recovery.

As we struggle to get our infrastructure rebuilt and to jump start our
economies, we are running into a major obstacle-our people are not getting a
fair shake when it comes to obtaining contracts. Huge contracts are being
awarded by FEMA after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, many of them without the
benefit of any competition, to companies outside of the Gulf Coast region.
My legislation will greatly curtail this unproductive practice.

For more information on this legislation, please visit my website to read
the press release <http://vitter.senate.gov/press
releases/PRDBVHurricaneRecLeg100605.html> or
<http://vitter.senate.gov/forms/Katrina Bill Summaries100605.pdf> the bill
summaries <http://vitter.senate.gov/forms/Katrina Bill Summaries100605.pdf>
.

Expediting Debris Removal

Just this week, the Debris Removal Act of 2005 passed the U.S. Senate. This
bill, which I cosponsored, would broaden eligibility for federal debris
removal reimbursement and expedite emergency reimbursement payments to local
and state governments.

Debris removal remains a major problem in Louisiana after Hurricanes Katrina
and Rita. Many of our local governments are facing major revenue shortages,
so expanding the eligibility for debris removal reimbursements is greatly
needed.

This bill sets the federal share for debris removal costs for Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita at 100 percent for at least 180 days. The legislation would
also authorize federal assistance for removing, clearing and disposing of
debris from private property.

Please click here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/press%20releases/PRFemarelief102805.html> to read
more about this legislation to speed up FEMA disaster reimbursements to
Louisiana communities.

Funding Coastal Restoration

The Senate Commerce Committee recently included $200 million for the coastal
restoration of Louisiana's coastline in its bill. This $200 million is a
positive first step in the legislative process, and we will try to expand
the program as the process continues.

As a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, I am particularly pleased that
I was able to convince my colleagues to include this innovative funding
opportunity for Louisiana's coastline. This $200 million in new revenue is
another tool to support our coastal restoration efforts without taxing the
American public or creating more of a deficit.

This funding will come from the sale of analog spectrum that will become
available upon the transition to digital television. The sale of this
spectrum creates additional revenue for the federal government for deficit
reduction and other spending.

To learn more about this funding, please visit the following link
<http://vitter.senate.gov/press%20releases/PRCoastalrestoration102105.htm>