[StBernard] Statement: Governor Blanco issues call for special legislative session

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 1 22:59:39 EST 2005

Louisiana is facing historic challenges.

How we meet those challenges in the weeks ahead will determine the future of
our state for generations to come.

We cannot simply re-create what those storms destroyed - we MUST make the
new Louisiana, smarter, safer and stronger.

We are working to re-instill the sense of place, the sense of family , the
sense of purpose, and the sense of community that makes Louisiana unique.

This special session will move us toward bringing our families and our
businesses home and bringing Louisiana back.

Last night, I issued the call for the session that will begin this Sunday
afternoon and conclude on November 22.

During these 17 days, we will work hard on dozens of issues critical to the
recovery and rebirth of Louisiana.

I'm asking the Legislature to put aside partisan, regional and historic
differences and take a fresh, new look at the recovery from hurricane
Katrina and Rita.

In crafting the call for this legislative session, I have taken our most
severe problems into consideration: We'll address education reform, coastal
protection, business and personal tax relief, and ethics reform. Each
proposal takes us toward one goal: creating a stronger, better, safer state.

The hurricanes cut our state revenues by almost one billion dollars. We have
some limited savings that we can use in the state's Rainy Day Fund, but we
must cut spending to make up for the loss of revenues.

I will use this opportunity to work with the Legislature to remake state
government to make it small, better, more efficient.

Before Katrina, the New Orleans public school system was not serving our
children adequately. After Katrina, it is sorely crippled.

The damage to school buildings in Orleans Parish was devastating; the
children are scattered far and wide; but out of the devastation comes a
golden opportunity for rebirth.

I'm determined to seize this opportunity to start anew. We will rise above
the divisions and limitations of the past, and create stronger schools in
healthier neighborhoods that serve our children properly.

I propose that the state step in and assume responsibility for that city's
failing schools, using, among other things, the charter school model as one
of the tools in our recovery efforts.

With the help of proven partners and with innovative thinking, we will turn
those schools - and this system - around for the benefit of every child in
that parish.

Quality public education is still the measure of a healthy, attractive
community and this is the most important aspect of a successful future for
Louisiana - and must be part of a rebuilt New Orleans.

Returning families who have had new education experiences and new
expectations will demand good schools for their children - and we must
deliver.

The forces of nature will always challenge us, and some days cannot be
overcome. But many families will not return to our Gulf Coast - from Lake
Charles to all the way to Slidell - unless they feel secure.

To ensure their safety and peace of mind, we must have a unified wetlands
authority charged with implementing a coastal and hurricane protection plan.

The long-term safety of our communities lies behind the protection of
thriving coastal wetlands and behind tall and strong levees. This unified
authority will focus our resources on that goal.

We also need stronger, statewide building codes to help us weather future
storms. We can build our houses and businesses better and higher standards
will help us do just that.

Better levees, a protective coastline and stronger buildings will make
Louisiana a place where our people can return to sound homes, quality jobs
and revived neighborhoods.

Never has Louisiana seen the loss of so many businesses - small and large.
Our economy has been decimated. Our people have lost their jobs. We have to
reach out to our businesses to help them survive.

Therefore, my package includes several proposals for tax relief; relief that
will help businesses and families alike. We do this in spite of our own
struggles with budget shortfalls.

My plan is to provide significant tax relief for businesses hit by these
storms.

First, we'll eliminate the sales tax on manufacturing machinery bought to
replace equipment damaged by the storms. Then, we'll eliminate the
corporate franchise tax on new debt incurred by businesses in the storm
zone.

And we'll also work to provide significant relief to our businesses and
industries by reducing the state sales tax electricity and natural gas.

In addition to these measures, Louisiana's tax code would allow a windfall
profit if Congress gives our people tax breaks. We will forgo that windfall
profit so that the full benefit of federal assistance can be realized by our
citizens.

And, as we see billions upon billions of dollars invested in this recovery,
it's important that we meet the highest ethical standards.

With that in mind, I am proposing that legislators and elected officials
disclose what income they earn in the recovery effort. We must assure our
people - and the nation - that this recovery is being conducted above board.

I've worked hard to improve Louisiana's national reputation. That effort was
paying off before the storms. Now, creating a better reputation is more
important than ever.

This is the first effort to focus on recovery efforts. It will not be the
last.

Our budget challenges will, in many ways, make our recovery more difficult.
These challenges require that we design a focused, streamlined state budget.

These challenges require that we reduce the size of government, live within
our means, and make strategic investments that produce greater outcomes.

This will require unity of purpose, clear thinking, and a commitment to
building a better, stronger, smarter, safer Louisiana.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org