[StBernard] Levees versus raising homes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 10 00:09:06 EST 2005

** NOTE: This email is pure speculation and does NOT contain one absolute
fact **

The Army Corps of Engineers and Congress are facing a massive bill if they
want to improve the levees to handle a category five hurricane. The
question that arose in my mind today, which is cheaper?

Would the total expenditure be cheaper and quicker to implement if everyone
had to raise their homes nine feet above sea level? Could this be done
faster than the 15-20 years it would take to build the levees to category 5
protection?

I'm sure in some cubicle somewhere, someone is working on generating a
dollar and time figure for both scenarios.

Westley