[StBernard] Ideas for the new St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 16 21:03:51 EST 2005

Not only to this message but a few things must be kept in mind:

1. Businesses look for numbers: That being the number of people who will buy
from their enterprises, and the annual income--that being low in St. Bernard
per se in relationship to other areas whose mean incomes are higher.

2. Businesses (especially for the large Malls ideas mentioned} not only
needs AREA, but they need egress/ingress and aproximity to an
off-ramp/on-ramp to an Internet System. Ours is 8 miles away. This changes
minds of developers more than a "bath to a bum on Saturday night) <G>. We're
at the tail end of a community.

3. After this truauma, who's gonna want to build on swampland due for a next
3-5 category hurricane. Most of you as citizens may not as well.

4. ..Which leads to the next blocking tactic: With fewer people wishing to
stay and come into the area in the future and knowing insurance rates and
levee protection, what's on the minds of businesses and individuals who will
locate in the parish?

So much to consider. No real answers knowing God's plans to send us another
disaster (and man-made with the industry's oil and polution mismanagement,
no matter how much money they wish to "bribe" government, individuals, and
businesses with "care-package" peace offerings.

As to John's posting, if Genie St. (and I brought this up to Joey DiFatta
who thought it was a good idea 10 yrs. Ago, but didn't follow up), if
St.Bernard did go back to it's once-strength that some took for granted),
wants a revitization, but the biz's that can be moved back and widen to
another lane for traffic and have MURPHY give up that back land where Genie
meets it at Jacob Drive and open it to continue on the other side, and knock
down (after purchasing land and obtaining throughway) homes in the way to
continue eastward as far as possible for emergencies (remember we had one
just recently?) and traffic.

THEN, build an overpass (as they did at Jefferson's Causeway over Vets) over
Paris Road. Cutting down traffic backed up.

I can think of a million things (some more complex, others simplified), but
the imagination for greatness is such as well.

Best, Jerry.