[StBernard] Trash Removal and House gutting for the Murphy Oil Area

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 16 21:06:43 EST 2005

Trash Removal and House gutting for the Murphy Oil Area

1) Is it true that all of the homes which had oil... the debris removed
from these homes must go to a special landfill for hazardous materials... is
this why Murphy is offering to pick up the debris which comes out of our
homes? I am just wondering.

2) Also I am wondering who is liable if I hire a worker to clean out my
home which has oil and they get sick... can they sue me... or just Murphy...
or both? After all it is my house but it is not my oil... I saw those men
in the white jump suits taking many more precautions than we have been with
picking up debris from and around the canal near my house... And should we
also be this cautious in removal of items?

3) Is there a company out there which is for hire either by Murphy's Dollar
or St. Bernard's dollar who can clean out the inside of a home without me
being liable as the owner for the crude oil in my house? And I am assuming
this company would need to also meet EPA standards and or requirements for
removal of these items from the inside of my house?

4) Can the Parish please tell us what these requirements are? Is there an
issue with the insides of our homes? Are there special precautions being
taken with the debris coming out of contaminated homes?

5) It is my understanding that Murphy is wanting me to remove everything
from my house including sheet rock and carpet and insulation and place it in
front of my house before they are willing to come in and make my house
"environmentally safe"...
Are not the contents of my home a hazard to me? Why should we as home
owners be required to fool around with hazardous materials? Why is the
government of St. Bernard not stepping in and at least voicing an opinion
about this issue or at least presenting the facts regarding this to the
affected citizens/home owners?

I feel as if the Parish really needs to step up to the plate with a few of
these unaddressed issues of which we simply would like some answers. We all
wish to get this over with and get on with our lives but at the same time we
are concerned about the liability issue with who and how our homes should be
cleaned out. It was a major discussion last night in our home and on the
phone with a few of our neighbors as we are all setting up our meetings with
Murphy. I am hoping someone can clarify or answer these questions or simply
shed some light on this as it is our understanding from a neighbor who met
with Murphy that no answers were being provided to these questions. And as
a concerned citizen I wish to be as educated as possible.

Please shed some light if you can...

Thank you so very much,
Amanda
my home was in the "moderate" zone