[StBernard] Trash Removal and House gutting for the Murphy Oil Area

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 18 07:53:16 EST 2005

Craig:

I would also appreciate any information relative to the rebuilding options
available to those impacted by Murphy Oil. I have already gutted my
downstairs, but do not know what steps I can take next. Trash and debris in
Corinne Estates was being removed, but that has come to a halt. If the
trash and debris are unsafe for removal, then how are we to feel comfortable
about taking additional steps to rebuild. At the same time, those that are
"waiting it out" are creating additional problems because eventually rats,
mice, or whatever will be in their homes feeding off the food in their homes
and refrigerators.

I have received several calls regarding placement of a trailer in front of
my home, especially now that FEMA has announced that there will be no more
financial support for our hotel room in Tennessee, yet there are no rooms
available that I can find anywhere near Louisiana. In speaking with Polly,
she mentioned that Mike Hunnicutt can answer my questions as to the
requirements for rebuilding, such as the need to replace Romex wiring, as
this would involve tearing out my ceilings, which were not damaged. She
also advised that you could clarify for me whether or no trailers were going
to be allowed in Corinne Estates. I will be in the parish Friday and
Saturday, and hopefully, can speak with you about these issues.

I very much want to rebuild as soon as possible, but if I can't have a
trailer, and I have to spent additional money to tear out ceilings and
replace all the downstairs wiring, then it begins to be cost prohibitive and
makes more sense to walk away, something I do not want to do.

Any guidance or clarification would be appreciated. Thank you for your
continued efforts on our behalf.

John Richardson