[StBernard] EPA Halts Debris Removal in Murphy Spill Area

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 14:45:31 EST 2005

Julie,

Your sentiments are the same argument we have been claiming to EPA-
inconsistent reports from several agencies and then different reports within
the same agency. After a meeting today with EPA and still not getting any
written summary from them- here is what I surmised and asked them to
validate:

Based on the sample data by EPA as of November 18, there are no air
samples that suggest any immediate environmental hazards connected to storm
debris. Additionally, there is no conclusive evidence that suggests that
long term environmental hazards are likely, although some of the samples do
show substance elevations that require further assessment.
Within the oil impacted area, it is continued to be stated that once
proper clean up is completed, the area will be inhabitable inside the
properties.

Keep in mind that trying to find one of these agencies to make a formal
definitive statement is beyond difficult- I ask everyday at our briefing
for a conclusive statement from the EPA rep and still nothing has been
provided.

Thanks for your concern and insight, keep taking what you can get, just use
proper protection for now and clean everything very thoroughly.

Craig