[StBernard] Modular Homes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 22 06:13:20 EST 2005

Wendy,

I will revise my comments on the example of "modular" homes you are
referring to here. The link you provide shows a company that builds in the
truest sense of the term "modular" homes - which is very uncommon down here.
The homes built by Oxford are literally different sections of a typical
house that are pre-fabed and pieced together at the site. Each pre-fabed
section resembles nothing like that of a mobile home. In fact, these types
of "modular" homes are often built on concrete slabs. Each section is
lowered into place, normally by a crane. In Japan they have been building
homes like these for over 20 years.

What I was talking about in my other comment was what you often see on the
highway being escorted - what appears to be two double-wide trailers, each
with an open side, that will be connected at the site. Trust me when I tell
you no one down here has ever seen anything like what Oxford builds. What
they build still takes some time to construct.

When the Mobile Home Manuafaturers sought to get the terminology of their
product changed through legislation, it was what Oxford builds they were
trying to pass their product as. But, as you can see, it is not nearly the
same type of dwelling.

Still, is there anyone down here with much experience building such type of
homes - the "true" modular home?

John Scurich