[StBernard] assessment

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 24 10:27:35 EST 2005

Flivingston,

Just to make it clear, I was not trying to chide you for your frustration,
and I apologize if it came across that way. Sometimes, I am not the best
communicator, and I did not want you to feel more stressed by my previous
message. Rather, now, I want to let you know that I understand your point.
Also, I see how hard it will be not only for the residents, but for the
parish officials to get this tremendous amount of work done. I know they
are working hard. It is overwhelming looking at the whole scenario and
especially when realizing all the work to be done.

I grew up in Chalmette but moved with my children about three years ago. My
mother still lives (lived) there. I visited last month and was so
disheartened by what I saw. It was hard to go into the Parish and see it so
completely destroyed. It was hard emotionally to see my childhood home
damaged and unliveable, and added to that, knowing that this happened to
everyone I knew! All the memories there......my widowed mother is truly
left with nothing---she had no flood insurance. It hurts to think of how
hard my father worked for so many years for his family and to build his life
there.

Even though I am far away in distance, part of me is still there and always
has been. I said "hold tight" because that is what is going to be needed
for the future rebuild. Hold tight to your faith, hold tight to your
memories, hold tight to the desire to rebuild, hold tight to your family and
friends. May God bless you!

Michelle