[StBernard] Murphy Oil - Why should I be out of pocket $14,300?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 2 07:46:43 EST 2005

Thank you! I do not understand Murphy not answering simple questions
regarding this issue. If our home is contaminated enough for the need to
decontaminate the studs then are we to believe that this oil spill did not
impact our furniture the flooring the sheet rock on the walls. Are we to
believe that this oil is safe when after all most of us have witnessed
Murphy clean up crews in the white outfits with re breather masks and boots
and thick gloves. I am asking Murphy for nothing less than they would do
for themselves.

I do hope if Murphy really wishes for us to clean out our homes to the studs
do they hide this in an addendum to what we are to sign for the settlement.
Why is this important item not pointed out. We know of two home owners who
signed and failed to be told nor did they read the addendum. I am only
asking Murphy to do the right thing. Clean up the mess both inside and
outside of my home. I wonder if I say Please will it help? Here goes...
Please Murphy can you clean everything which has oil out of my house down to
the studs and then make my house environmentally safe from the inside out?
Nah that probably won't work.

I have written letters. I have made phone calls. Yet there is not one
person within Murphy who can tell me the reasoning behind me (a private
citizen with no background in hazardous waste) being asked to clean out all
of the items which also are contaminated with oil from the inside of my
home. Then Murphy will come into my home and decontaminate the insides from
the oil.

I am curious. Does anyone know what will happen if we simply refuse to
clean out our home and just let it sit. Can the Parish Council step up to
the plate and talk to Murphy on behalf of the citizens? Can the Parish
Council request answers regarding safety issues? Can the Parish Council
perhaps request a time frame for Murphy to follow in the clean up of the
inside and outside of homes? Can the Parish Council request the logic
behind Murphy placing this clause as an addendum which is not being
adequately explained to home owners?

Amanda