[StBernard] Gasoline

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Dec 7 22:46:24 EST 2005

Westley:

I couldn't agree more with Ms. Hingle's comments relative to passing some
expenses on to other states that rely on Louisiana for their gasoline, and
let's not forget, natural gas expenses.

I would, however, like to add a few comments, to be fair to all concerned.
We have been in Chattanooga since three days after the storm, and everyone
we have come into contact with treated us with dignity and respect, and has
expressed genuine interest and concern about us and what is "really going on
down there", as opposed to what the media has presented. Our second night
here I presented my Visa card to pay for dinner for my family and was
informed that five sorority girls across the room learned we were from the
New Orleans area, and had paid our bill. I went over to thank them and told
them that it wasn't necessary and that others were far worse off that us, so
it wasn't necessary to pay our bill. They refused and said it was the least
they could do. There were other instances like this, including the hotel
cutting our rate by $20 long before FEMA entered the picture. There are
people outside Louisiana that genuinely care.

What I find most interesting, however, is the fact that the state of Georgia
has eliminated all state taxes on gasoline to assist with the high cost of
gasoline due to the various Hurricanes. The Governor of Tennessee declared
a holiday from state taxes on gasoline on Labor Day, and tried to get it
approved through year-end, but the legislature overruled him.

Why is it I can purchase gasoline here for $1.89 a gallon (and less if I
drive into Georgia), yet Louisiana still charges over $2.00 a gallon? Why
doesn't our governor propose a temporary elimination on state income taxes
on gasoline purchases? She sure has her hand out to the Federal Government,
when there are actions like this that she should be taking!

I know that the response would be that the state needs the income, but the
state will lose more income as more and more residents choose not to return.
I want to return, but every day when I see clean streets, free bus service
around the downtown area, no state income tax, and a lower cost of living, I
begin to ask myself why I am interested in returning? If Louisiana continues
on its path of self destruction, I won't have to ask the question much
longer.

John Richardson