[StBernard] very angry

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 11 23:09:46 EST 2005

Westley,

I have not been following the e-mails with this subject line, so I don't
know whether this opinion has been expressed. I have no idea of the costs
involved in filing a lawsuit or hiring an attorney. Knowing how devasting
Katrina was for all of St. Bernard, however, I can't imagine that many
individuals would have the funds to file a lawsuit -- against the Corps or
anyone else.

Actually, the point is moot. It's too little, too late, folks.

Until their efforts were halted by Hurricane Katrina, a group of citizens of
St. Bernard Parish, my father among them, worked tirelessly for many years
to get the MRGO closed. These individuals spent personal funds in their
fight -- and in their efforts to convince the public of the urgent need to
close the MRGO. As a matter of fact, the "Close the MRGO Now" group even
had a billboard at the corner of St Bernard Highway and Friscoville Avenue -
which they were forced to remove because it was "unsightly". This group of
individuals received absolutely no support from the Parish council - and
precious little from other citizens of the parish.

What's even more difficult to comprehend -- but is certainly business as
usual for St. Bernard Parish politics -- is that not a single member of this
forward-thinking group of individuals was tapped for membership in the St.
Bernard "Citizens" Recovery Committee.

It's all too little, too late, folks, -- much too little -- and much too
late.

Pattie Doody