[StBernard] Governor, Chertoff discuss recovery efforts in Louisiana

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 13 22:36:27 EST 2005

Governor, Chertoff discuss recovery efforts in Louisiana

WASHINGTON, D.C.--Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco and U.S. Homeland
Security Secretary Michael Chertoff met today to discuss the Federal
Emergency Management Agency's continued role in Louisiana as the state
recovers from the devastation of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Reduction of the state's $3.7 billion cost-share payment, improving the
temporary housing process, updating the FEMA decision-making process, and
interpretation of the Stafford Act were key agenda items for Governor Blanco
and Secretary Chertoff today's meeting at the Department of Homeland
Security headquarters. Acting director of FEMA David Paulison, Don Powell,
federal coordinator of long-term Gulf Coast hurricane recovery efforts, and
U. S. Coast Guard Vice Admiral Thad Allen also participated in today's
meeting.

"Secretary Chertoff and I had a very productive conversation about how FEMA
can better serve the citizens of Louisiana," said Governor Blanco. "I let
him, as well as Mr. Paulison, Mr. Powell and Vice Admiral Allen, know that
our people are strong-willed and determined to rebound from this national
tragedy, but we are counting on the full support of the federal government.
In addition to other important items, we discussed possible solutions to
reducing the enormous $3.7 billion bill we owe to the federal government for
our share of the costs of this disaster. I believe Secretary Chertoff
understands that this bill further exacerbates our already dire budget
situation."

Among the funding items Governor Blanco discussed with Secretary Chertoff
include request for FEMA to:

* Supporting continuation of 100% funding for Categories A & B and for
100% funding for all categories of assistance permanently.

* Increase CDBG allocations to cover cost-share and address needs
unmet under Stafford Act.

* Fully fund the administrative costs of the Community Disaster Loan
Program (CDL).

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org