[StBernard] The looters and intruders

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 15 14:07:32 EST 2005

What happened to all the St. Bernard cops? AND if they are in the parish,
what are they doing? This is sad.
Jen

For those with two story homes, like me, every ti me I go back to
the
house, another set of would be looters have gone upstairs in the
hopes
of finding something to steal. This is happening every few days.
Like
they are going to find jewelry, guns, and televisions four months
after
the storm. They are so brazen that they leave the attic doors open
and
leave the drawers open for the little furniture that is left.
Fortunately, they don't take my cleaning supplies, which is all that
have left in the house. We now leave the drawers open so they can
see
we have nothing to take.

I feel fortunate though, because many who have left anything,
including
their children's toys, have had it stolen. There are reports that
cars
are riding around all hours of night and there is no police
protection
to stop it. Until I have doors and windows, electricity, and a
telephone for a burglar alarm, I hesitate to do anything but tear
out
the downstairs. While we are concerned about levees, draina ge, and
debris removal, in my opinion, until we get the looting under
control,
how can we invest money to bring in construction materials and
equipment to rebuild? How do we bring in trailers and then leave the

trailer unprotected while we do errands or go to work, or worse yet
sleep there and worry about encountering these scumbags on one of
their
midnight home tours?

I don't think the message is going out that St. Bernard has a zero
tolerance policy on trespassers. Do we need to take up arms
ourselves
and start our own armed-citizen patrols to protect one another? This

problem may be with the two-story homes for now, but as the
one-stories
are rebuilding, it will affect them, too.

Don't put anything, no matter how little value, in a box that used
hold electronics, liquor, etc. People who have done that come back
find that the scumbags have open these boxes and dumped the contents

creating a mess. Do they reall y think people are storing cases of
Jack
Daniels and Sony TVs in garage? They can't figure out that the old
boxes are just holding household items of no value.

If anyone from the Sheriff's Office or Council wants to advise us,
please do. Maybe we need to do a "Spend a night in your house with a

gun" to send our own message. Maybe it will take a resident or a
looter
being shot during a midnight encounter to bring this issue to the
forefront. I really hope not. This is not worth dying for. If we
don't
have the police resources, maybe we need military protection during
dusk to dawn curfew. I don't know the answers, just the problem.

Corinne is being hit hard by the looters, but I suspect so are other

areas with two-story homes.

Deborah Keller
3608 Corinne Avenue (so the world knows there is nothing there to
take)