[StBernard] PARISH UPDATE FOR 12/16/05 - Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 16 21:30:20 EST 2005

Editors Note: This is one of several emails.

PARISH UPDATE FOR 12/16/05

>From Craig Taffaro on behalf of the St. Bernard Parish Council (Mark Madary,

Judy Hoffmeister, Kenny Henderson, Chairman Joey DiFatta, Lynn Dean, and
Ricky Melerine)

Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Currently, there are approximately 500 – 600 consents signed for voluntary
demolition of their homes. Consent forms are available on line or at the
community development office in the government building on the second floor
in the northeast corner.

The issues related to the assessments is being researched because of the
number of errors in the reporting of the documentation. I encourage people
to look at their homes and based on your own assessment compare the reported
assessment to your assessment and if there is a disagreement request
community development to reassess your property. If there are problems with
getting a review of your property, please let your council-member know or
call me at 401-3654. Any property owner who believes that the property
should be demolished should sign a consent for the demolition to take place.
Any property owner who wishes to repair the property should evaluate the
cost to repair with the help of a licensed contractor. I am currently
gathering contact information of contractors who are available for estimates
and repairs and hope to have this information publishable next week. If the
rating you received does not make sense to you and you are concerned that
the rating would disrupt your plans for your property, contact community
development for further information. Permits for structural repairs,
electrical, plumbing, and a/c heating work can all be obtained in the
community development office.

It is unfortunate that the assessment process has left so many questions for
people, but I encourage all property owners to act prudently in deciding how
to proceed. The policy by community development to require structural
engineering assessments to be completed for properties rated 30 – 60%
damaged and 60 – 100% damaged before permits for repair work can be
completed is being reviewed. The cost estimates that have been called in
for this type of structural assessment have been in the 250.00 – 350.00
range. Some of the current alternatives being researched are the use of
in-house structural engineers, use of a indemnity waiver releasing the
parish from any liability for future building problems for a substandard
home, and hiring an engineering consulting firm to handle all required
structural inspections.

Another consideration of the rebuilding and repairing issue is the location
of your home. Discussions about the issue of land mitigation have been
ongoing and to this point have produced no conclusions. I am hopeful that
in the next week or so, we can come to some consensus regarding any
mitigation projects that we will propose. Basically, I am asking the
council and administration to identify the areas that we will propose to the
state mitigation office and the Louisiana Recovery Committee for mitigation.
Our proposal would be reviewed and selected based on competitive project
comparisons with all of the other proposed projects from the impacted areas
from the state. Remember that the state hazard mitigation grant program
involves the purchase of the areas approved in the proposal at a 75% - 25%
match between FEMA funds and the local government/property owner. I would
anticipate that local government would likely seek the 25% local match by
having the home owner contribute the 25% match through an in-kind donation
of the property. Also, properties mitigated in the hazard mitigation grant
program are deed restricted, meaning that they must remain green space after
the mitigation settlement. Money for the hazard mitigation grant program
comes from a combination of the total of public assistance money and
individual assistance money multiplied by 7 ½ % and is shared throughout the
affected areas of the state.

The other option regarding land being acquired is the Baker Plan or HB4100
authored by Congressman Richard Baker from Baton Rouge. This bill has
continued to get support in congress and currently is attempting to be
attached to the defense appropriations bill which would almost guarantee its
passage. A vote on this should take place on 12/16/05. If passed by the
committee that will approve its attachment to the defense appropriations
bill, the bill could be scheduled and voted on in the very near future. If
HB4100 passes, it creates a redevelopment corporation that will in essence
act as a conduit for developers to purchase land tracts from the corporation
and redevelop it with direct input from the local community. The
compensation package of the bill will attempt to provide a purchase of one’s
property in a manner that pays the property owner as close to the pre-storm
equity as possible and if there is a mortgage attempts to absorb the
mortgage and pay off the mortgage at a reduced payoff.

Property owners will then have an option to buy back into the corporation
and receive a voucher for a piece of property similar in size and locale to
the property that was sold. The exact location will likely be a different
footprint than the existing property. If a property owner does not buy into
the redevelopment, the compensation for the property does not change.

The time frame of HB4100 is still several months away, provided it is passed
and signed into law by the president.