[StBernard] Parish Update for 12/16/05 - Cars/Boats

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 16 22:15:17 EST 2005

Editors Note: This is one of several emails.

PARISH UPDATE FOR 12/16/05

>From Craig Taffaro on behalf of the St. Bernard Parish Council (Mark

Madary,
Judy Hoffmeister, Kenny Henderson, Chairman Joey DiFatta, Lynn Dean, and
Ricky Melerine)

Cars/Boats

Unfortunately, this issue continues to be a source of great frustration.
The history of this issue started with the government's debris contractor
removing abandoned cars and boats to a single point of collection. The
governor's office stopped this process for environmental concerns and the
sheriff's department planned a strategy for car/boat removal which was then
halted and the state of Louisiana has now stepped in and will handle the
removal of cars/boats. The reality of the situation is that there has been
no contract let by the state to begin the removal of the abandoned
cars/boats on property or in the street.

While there has been some towing service provided by a local company the
towing of vehicles has been by and large limited. While insurance companies
can haul vehicles that have been processed, individuals who have a need to
remove vehicles should call the state department of transportation. It may
be helpful for residents to call your state representative or senator to
request the contract through DOTD be moved forward. Don't be surprised if
our state delegation is not aware of DOTD's decision to take this over
because staff within DOTD were not aware of the process.

An alternative that I could not advise is to place or push the vehicle onto
a public right of way so that the state can move it for you. I am not sure
how one could get a vehicle to a state public right of way but we are told
that those vehicles on the state rights of way will be removed by the state.