[StBernard] Council Extends Deadline to March 31

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 22 02:21:13 EST 2005

While I understand the need to revise the December deadline for residents to
make a decision as to whether or not they wish to have their homes
demolished, at the same time the health and welfare of everyone in the
parish must be considered. The extension to the end of March should only be
granted if the homeowner removes his/her home of all furniture and
appliances, particularly refrigerators and freezers. I am not implying that
someone who has not made up their mind should be required to "gut their
house". Instead, the potential health hazards and the infiltration of
rodents from food rotting in the refrigerators and freezers need to be
eliminated.

While it takes several times to gut a house, it probably would take less
than a day to remove furniture and appliances out to the curb for pick-up.
I have no doubt that taking pictures of the inside of the home before
removing any items, and then taking pictures of the items once placed in the
front of the home for pick up should more than suffice as evidence for the
insurance company. If the insurance company balks at that, I know that any
reasonable judge would readily accept the photographs as evidence,
especially if the Parish Council publishes a new date for an answer from
homeowners as to their decision, while recommending that photographs be
taken as evidence.

There are too many homes that remain in the same condition as the day after
the flood. Many homeowners need more time to make a decision, however I
would bet the majority of those that have not gutted their homes have no
intention of returning, and are not considering the impact to those wishing
to rebuild in St. Bernard.

John Richardson