[StBernard] One of my concerns...

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 22 02:23:08 EST 2005

As many thoughts are being thrown out about how to possibly rebuild St.
Bernard, what I'm not seeing or hearing is anything regarding the return of
things that make like "normal", such as: Has Winn-Dixie or Sav-a-Center
indicated the possibility of returning to the parish? If not, has any other
grocery chain mentioned the possibility?

What about medical care? Read some things the first few weeks after the
storm, but nothing since then.

Atmos taking until **April** to restore service? I haven't seen any
explanation as to why that is, and has any official suggested to them that
*that* timeframe was unacceptable? I saw a suggestion of possibly putting
total electric appliances in your home temporarily, but I sincerely doubt
that most of us will be in the position to buy electric ranges/dryers/water
heaters/furnaces only to replace them at a later date. And uh, with the
price of electric rates in LA in Entergy areas, just keep your
wallet/pocketbook open for that bill.

Also, what is the status of gas stations, convenience stores, drug stores
etc?

I think the answers to these questions, or lack of them may indicate how
much of the parish population returns.

I have an 80 yr old mother and I think my best bet at this time is to
possibly buy a trailer or something and find a lot, land or something to put
it on for a few years. I'll get the house gutted, cleaned out and ready to
rebuild, but the time of my return may be delayed.

Jim York
jaywhy321 at yahoo.com