[StBernard] Council extends deadline to March 31

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 23 01:26:37 EST 2005

"I totally agree with John Richardson. Everyone is ready to complain and
yes some of us do not have a lot of money, but everyone can clean up. It
does not cost a thing to get into your house and bring out the trash. It is
not pleasant and yes, it is very hard to have to get rid of your belonging,
but going through your things does bring back some great memories. Remember
God helps those who help themselves.

"What scares me is, we are starting to sound like the people in the 9th
ward, expecting everyone else to do for us. This website was a link home and
now it is just getting to be a complaint center. Who cares who has the
contracts to pick up the trash, it is getting picked up. If you do not want
to come back, don't. I personally want to thank the council for all their
hard work. For setting up this web site to let us know what is going on."

**Angel, you have to remember that people who "lost everything" is not only
to people who lost their "memories". One has to think outside the box to
sympathize with others, but also place themselves in their positions.

It's probably easier on the "mind" to know that all is cared for in times of
crisis. But, losing your home and getting covered or having the funds as a
safetynet does so much for recovery from this disaster.

Whether their lost can be blamed on insufficient or no insurance and with
very little funds in the bank (as compared with those who have worldly
possessions completely covered by financial savings/windfalls), one has to
see why their once grief can turn into anger, frustration and sorrow
simulanteously!

With little to no security and no knowledge of how their lives will spin,
they turn to every effort to get a piece of any part of financial help they
most desperately seek and from every source. Does this sound like "9th
warders" (which many were at this time 30-ought years back).

I would think that if had all my losses covered, were determined to clean up
knowing "all was right/fine", and live was rosey (which depressed people
have little knowledge about0, things might be different. But as you know,
we're talking about 75% of St. Bernard in that rut--not the 25% (and many of
the 25% fell short on their flood insurances), so the very few who feel
"just fine" about recovery are the blessed ones, the excepion to the rule,
perhaps.

We'll see as time passes how life will pan out...

Jer