[StBernard] #5 Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 23 01:29:04 EST 2005

"Taffaro said the parish is pushing for people to make decisions because
FEMA has said it will pay for demolitions only through June 30. FEMA also
will reimburse the parish 100 percent of its costs for debris pickup through

June 30. " (This is from the Times-Picayune on 12-21-05)

I think the real reason there is a push for quick decisions is the issue of
payment of services. If I am not mistaken, you are free to demolish your
house on your own and pay for debris removal whenever you might want, AT
YOUR OWN EXPENSE. I believe the parish is setting this deadline to
encourage the most amount of people to reap the cost saving benefit provided

by FEMA instead of bearing the cost burden individually.

Rebuild, demolish, wait, don't return- whatever your decision, the choice is

yours to make. Maybe you forgot that those same parish officials (whom we
elected to those positions) who you are getting so annoyed with (over debris

contracts, deadlines, whatever) also lost their homes and are facing the
same struggles as everyone else in St. Bernard.

km