[StBernard] **UNUSED** FEMA trailers???

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 25 08:01:30 EST 2005

HUH!!!

It's so bizarre! There is another family here at our hotel in B'ham who got
a call from FEMA asking about trailer. Tony said he w anted as close to St.
Bernard as possible. FEMA guy says he's got one spot in Columb lot (??) he
can put one in. Tony asked about size of trailer since his wife is
handicapped and he requested handicapped trailer. FEMA guy says only 8x30
ft trailers going into St. Bernard; he could put a bigger one in E. Baton
Rouge but Tony said he wanted to be as close to St. Bernard as possible.
FEMA guy said they would put a ramp in front and slap some rails-handles on
it. Tony asked if I got a call from same guy and I said nope, did not.
Tried calling number FEMA guy gave Tony but no answer probably due to
holiday.

A few thoughts:

**Never heard about Columb lot (by old Peoples Bank?).

**All we heard about was Delchamps and Violet Canal area.

**Parish said they'd have a map of FEMA lots on website but not there yet.

**Had heard that FEMA trailers were in 3 sizes, but don't know why.
**We're not an 80 yr old couple, but I've got an 80 year old mom who is just
soo tired of being away from home and just wants to go back.

**What *IS* the rhyme or reason with the trailers? I was called almost a
month ago about a trailer and excitedly said "Yes, we want one! It's me and
my 80 yr old mother so we need a handicapped accessible trailer". FEMA rep
said they would note that.
It's the last thing I have heard.

Just an aside...
Saw on the T-P NOLA.com website, a pic of a lady cooking gumbo in her FEMA
trailer in St. Bernard. It was a really nice looking trailer, with some
nice print curtains, carpet by the table and couch area and all. It was a
lot better looking than the ones we've seen moving thru AL on the way down.
I think the ones we see now are the ones bein g cranked out for housing. At
first, FEMA was buying off the RV lots for housing and then the
manufacturers started building to FEMA specs. The one I looked thru was
real drab, BUT, I'll take one of those if I can get it. As a matter of
fact, the one I looked thru was because the driver had truck trouble and had
to stop overnight. I asked if I could look in it. I laughed and told him
I'd be happy to hook it up to my SUV and bring it the rest of the way down
if I could have it for me and my mom!!
Thanks Gaby for that info. ARRGGHH!!

Jim
jaywhy321 at yahoo.com