[StBernard] A Marshall Plan Approach, Why They Stayed Behind, and Memories Amid the Mounds

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 29 22:57:10 EST 2005

> I read these articles and they are very interesting...the Marshall Plan

worked...obviously...

I have said the following to many of my friends and family...from the
beginning...If America would place America and Americans first and
foremost... we would not have to debate...there should be no debate...in my
opinion...give the monies needed to do the very best job possible to get the
entire Gulf Coast up and running as quickly as possible...give the monies
needed for the best levee system that money can buy for the safety of a very
important and vibrant part of the United States...and the people who live
and work in these areas...

However, if the government would give Louisiana 50% of our own oil & gas
revenues as many other states get... instead of the 30% we get...we could
stand on our own ...we would not need help from the Federal
Government...even without this being retroactive...if made retroactive...
Louisiana...would have monies needed for so many important things...(ie.,
education...)we could become a rich state...instead of being a poor state...
All we need is our own "Fair Share" of these revenues!

Carol Hingle

> Three Articles Explore: A Marshall Plan Approach, Why They Stayed Behind,

> and Sifting Through the Wreckage

> Note: Three articles appearing in newspapers Tuesday and today delve into

> key issues at the heart of the recovery and rebuilding effort.

Periodically,

> the Louisiana Recovery Authority shares articles and opinion pieces with

> listserv members to keep them abreast of issues associated with recovery.

> N.O. Times Picayune:

> History of Help

> The United States has a tradition of spending billions to help rebuild

> devastated foreign countries. After Hurricane Katrina, many are saying the

> federal government should use a similar approach to drive recovery on its

> own soil.

<"http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113575303140
910.xml">

> Graphic: American Disaster Responses

<"http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/katrina/pdf/response_cha
rt.jpg">

> Many made fatal choice to stay behind

> Victims turned down chance to evacuate

<"http://www.nola.com/archives/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-4/11356667648850.xml
&coll=1">

> NY Times:

> Wrestling With Memories Amid Mounds of Trash

> "If you are wondering how the people of New Orleans are faring these days,

> you might try the following: look around your living room and imagine that

> everything in it is slathered in mud and mold. Now consider what it would

be

> like to don all manner of masks and other gear in order to go in there

like

> a demolition worker and get rid of every last thing.

> For some residents, only when they are carrying out this grim ritual do

they

> come to terms with what the hurricane has wrought." - NYT reporter

Clifford

> J. Levy

<"http://select.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?tntget=2005%2f12%2f28%2fnational%2f
nationalspecial%2f28trash%2ehtml">