[StBernard] To Steve...

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 29 23:11:15 EST 2005

It is hurtful to me to think that anyone would consider anyone else a
"traitor" for making a hard decision about their future in these most
uncertain times. I am certain many local businesses will not return for the
same reason. There is no customer base! This is just good business sense
(Business101).
I intend to rebuild my business, but unlike others, the greater part
of my customer base is outside of the parish. In fact, it is outside of the
state. That makes my decision easier. I have customers waiting for me to
open. I don't have to make a major financial commitment and hope customers
come in sufficient numbers to keep me from going broke on top of all of this
loss.
I attended the Chamber of Commerce installation at the Governor's
Mansion this past week. As I told her, this is both a happy and sad
occasion for the chamber. Happy because we are all together once again
after so many painful months. Sad, because I know to some of us will never
see one another again. Katrina has left an indelible mark. We should not
judge anyone for the decisions they make, because we have never walked in
their shoes.
No one has given more to St. Bernard than you, Steve, and your family.
I hope you do return sometime, but should we not see one another again I
want you to know that you are loved and deeply appreciated for all you did
and for who you are by the residents of St. Bernard. That, no one can take
away from you. Have a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year and give my love
to your family. Ron