[StBernard] SIGNS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 30 11:56:43 EST 2005

Deborah

My opinion is not just my own, but, the opinion of the many
businesses
that I have served since the storm. I have no degrees, just employees.
I am a Kiwanian in StB for 14+ years. I have coached parish and middle
school baseball for 26 years. I am a member of the StB Chamber of
Commerce and speak only as a employer trying to reopen my business.
In normal times, under normal conditions, I would agree with you
about
the signage issue. Especially the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with spray
paint or the 4 x 8 sign nailed into the neutral ground at an
intersection. But lets be clear about the times we are living in.
Businesses are only now beginning to come back. Im not talking about a
gutting company of foreigners, or a lawyer from Alaska sueing Murphy.
Im speaking of the Shortys, and Smoothie Kings and myself. You
mentioned that they are illegal from sidewalk to sidewalk. This is
actually not correct. A few years ago, I put out 30 signs in front of
my store on Paris Road on the greenway, that I pay to have cut (No
sidewalks). And the parish, not the DOTD, removed all my signage saying
that I can not put signage past the power poles and lines. That was
considered public property. I then mentioned to my friends on the
council, that many businesses have permanant signs that are under and
outside the power lines. Nothing else was ever said of this and I did
not press the issue.
I am going to reopen my business in another location(the Licciardi
building). I would like the opportunity to advertise for a little
while. Newspaper ads were a joke before the storm. TV advertising is
only for the very large and well off companies. I have paid taxes and
employed residents in St. Bernard for 17 years. I don't think Im going
to cause any automobile accidents putting out 50 - 18 x 24 signs with
wire stakes, for 30-45 days. If you do any type of math on 50 signs, at
best, I could possibly put one sign every 10 or 15 blocks on each side
of the street. I agree that some companies are putting way too many
signs in one location, and this should be addressed. I think you must
agree that none of the businesses that were in the parish before the
storm fall into that group of businesses.
I feel as you do, that far too many signs, in every size and shape,
are being allowed to pop up anywhere, but, I mix that feeling with the
need to tell my customers, that I have returned and here is where to
find me. I will contact my many business friends on the main arteries
and ask them if I may put 18 x 24 signs on their business properties.
If I did this, what would stop the parish employees, from taking my
signs up, anyway?
This is an issue that should NOT be at the top of any priority
list,
at this time. We have far too many issues to deal with that dwarf this
signage problem. All that I ask is that I be allowed to reopen and
advertise a little and maybe make a few dollars from the businesses
that are trying to return. My only customers, for signs, have been
companies that were here before, and, will be here long after (You are
welcome to view my files).
I will continue to be a loyal business owner, kiwanian, and
hopefully,
resident, in StB until the next storm blows me away

Sam Cat